Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm looking through the new 2005 Fender Frontline catalog...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    And I'm not really seeing much new stuff on the bass front. Pooey. They came out with a new Victor Bailey fretless which looks nice, but isn't exactly "new", since they've been making a fretted version for a while now. There's also a Victor Baily acoustic bass guitar which looks kind of neat, and they came out with a handful of new bass combos. Bah! The guitar sections are chock full of new stuff; where's all the cool new bass stuff? Where's the Good Charlotte signature model P-Bass? Why does Tye Zamora still have that ugly $5000 plank of a six string in there? I feel gipped.

Hell, they came out with two whole pages of stuff like gas pump display cases, TVs, stools, lunch boxes, tables, coolers, etc. Fender the Tshirt! Fender the doll! Fender the flame thrower! (the kids love that one)

Well, looks like it's going to be kind a boring Fender year for us bassists. Hopefully they'll come out with some new stuff at summer NAMM. Roger Waters signature series P-bass, perhaps?

2. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow!! Holy cow!! Woochuck is in it! Page 157!

3. is the new fender baritone jaguar in it?
    thats exciting for me...
    i am also still waiting for the "13-year old P-bass deluxe"
    i heard that it is a pink p-bass with and alder body with an ash veneer with *** LOL binding. It has "TeH Gr8Est" shape neck and only two strings, the E and A, because the bass player really only needs to play the root.

yes folks, i am just kidding. there is no such thing as *** LOL binding. but be it as it may, Fender really hasn't come out with anything new and excting since the Fender Deluxe bass (now AFAIK is called the "jazz bass")

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yeah, Our TB buddy has been keeping a secret from you guy's :)
    He did tell me all about the endorsment when it went down and I for one is very proud of him. Bigup chuck! bup bup bup! Besides he's another Brooklyn boy made good! :)

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey, i guess they never came out with an Oscar Cartaya model?

6. Woody's originally from Brooklyn? :eek: :hyper:

Congrats there, Woodman.

Way to go! :cool:

Mike

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

that would be a normal 70s like black on black maple P?

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Signature Models aren't exactly new product either, are they? Mostly just reworkings of existing models. with some fancy options.

I don't expect much new stuff from Fender. I've never really been impressed by anything except the P and J basses. If it ain't broke....

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    And it would have a built in tape delay.

10. They're supposed to make a Frank Bello signature model, so maybe that'll come out this summer. The Victor Bailey fretless sounds like a great idea... I need to drop by me dealer and pick up a copy of the catalog.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL!!!
    BTW, thanks for the props guys. Also, they're coming out with a shoe line as well, and I'm supposed to be on the box, along with a bunch of other artists. FWIW, I was born in Atlanta, and moved to Park Slope (Brook'nam!) when I was 2, but did most of my damage in Flatbush.

12. chimp

chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Victor Bailey fretless sounds interesting, i suppose the fretted model has sold well. but i think in the bass world fender is not keeping up with the new smaller companys which is sad because they saught of made electric bass popular.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I think they have a "we are Fender" attitude, and that's what's doing Gibson in. The newer guys at the company are trying to combat that. BTW, a Vic Bailey 5 would be nice.

14. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    does the AVS 75 Jazz come in another color? im going to try and pick mine up today.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can someone post a scan of the Woodchuck ad?

16. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    +1

you beat me to it

17. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    +2

:)

Matt

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    + 3

19. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Props Woochuck. *Bounty killer Voice* *Hand squeezing fake trigger in air* BOE BOE BOE BOE

20. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Gotta dump the SX's now?

Glenn D.