So im most likely returning the b2r..what wattage do i need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Well i've read 1000 times after I bought the amp, that the wattage is not what it says. Even at practice it clips, and we dont play loud. Whay amp / wattage should I be looking at for playing shows with? The local venues here are the sizes of churches, and things like amvet posts. im guessing 150 X 150 square foot rooms, maybe a little bit bigger. i have a 2x10, and am looking in to adding the 4x10 to it.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi a e i o u, I'd say it depends on your playing style. If you want lots of clean headroom in a room that size, and you're using a solid state amp, I'd target the kilowatt range (or definitely no less than 500 watts RMS). Not kidding. That would be equivalent to about 300 honest tube watts, which is probably loud enough (and still get the headroom). Something like an SWR 750 would probably work for you, it's nice and fat on the bottom and still delivers clarity and plenty of clean headroom. And you can get the fat tube amp sound too, if that's what you want.
  3. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    With rooms like that, i would say at the very least you would nead something that can push 400watts at 4ohms

And try as much as you like(i did for ages), but a standalone 8ohm 210 will never cut it any kind of large hall like the ones you have mentioned(mine even struggles in a rehearsal situation). So try and add another cab like a 1x15 or a 4x10 as soon as possible. The 15 would probably get real boomy real fast in a big open room though, so the 410 would probably be your best option. 2x12's are SWEET too.

With the amp though, I'd recommend aiming for something around the 5-700 watt mark, that should atleast allow for a bit of headroom.

Im not a big Gallien Krueger fan or anything, but for the price, i dont reckon you can do much better than the GK 1001rb. Punch for days, and LOUD......It would smoke that wooly b2r, even with a busted transistor