1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm off to boarding school...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by stewart8980, Sep 4, 2008.

1. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Im sort of bored right now so I'd figure I'd write this. I'm off to boarding school for the next 3 years of high school, and I'm worried that the people there (as far as music goes) might not be the musical taste I'm looking for to form a band. On the other hand maybe there are other kids out there like me, but I just don't know. Anyone who went to boarding school have any advice or words of uplifting?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You mean, like, learning how to ride a surfboard? That shouldn't take three years.

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Good luck. I'd hate going to boarding school. :meh:

4. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    haha no. I meant as far as music and bands were concerned. I guess what I'm trying to say is how would I go about organizing a band if I was so inclined.

Well it was either that and stay in my surrent house in RI or get uplifted for a 4th time in my life and move to Washington, D.C. (don't ask) I'm actually sor of excited for it (starts next tuesday)

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Just like any other new scene. Find out who is playing in bands or owns equipment or gigging. Be open to musical styles. Sticking with just what you know will reduce your chances of getting in a band or starting one. Talk to everyone. Check out the school band.

Be friendly and interested in what other people are doing. Ask them about themselves. Let them talk and you'll learn a lot. Same goes for the women you'll meet.

Good luck.

6. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The wooshing sound was his sense of humor doing a flyby on your forehead. ;)

In all seriousness, Stumbo has some great advice. Be friendly and outgoing, meet other people, and be open to new styles. Those traits will also be the best preparation for college you could ever get!

-Mark

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Assumption ? Boarding School builds character , all the best with it. :)

8. Good Luck!

A friend of mine went for the last two years of his high school and he came back a completely different person.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Well there are all kinds of boards. Snowboards, kiteboards, wakeboards, skateboards, and then of course, as Munji mentioned there are surfboards. Each one of those boards have a wide variance in lengths and styles. For instance, I have 12 surfboards and I ride each and every one of them. It really depends on the waves. Then of course, there are also 2 x 4's.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Freestyle ditch jumping. Hell yeah!!!

To the OP, just be open to new stuff. Just because it's new and different, doesn't mean it's wrong.

11. But be careful. Don't loose sight of who you are. Remember, you'll be in a closed system. Plus, it's a closed HIGH SCHOOL.

There are no corners in the round rooms...

12. I though that only happen to girls in collage?

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Was that the guy who had the sex reassignment surgery?

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Hehe!:D

15. :D

Mike

16. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island

True, but by closed system do you mean that they'll have a constant grip on us, cause the school I'm going to, that's farther from the truth. Now there was this one guy, Bowlander...

17. What i mean is that you wont be able to get away from people. So, basically, you have to kinda like/be neutral towards everybody. POr just do a really good job of concealing the loathing for some of them.

18. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    OH I'm really good at that. (not sarcasm)

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Nailed it. I played with my current bandmates in high school for a few cover gigs, playing mostly alt rock stuff for a few shows. Later I played in a pop/reggae band with that same drummer, really not my cup of tea, but it was a good time and we played some cool gigs. Eventually, I ended up getting together with the same drummer from both of those projects and the guitarist from the cover band to form our own band and it's been a great experience.

Just out of curiosity, what school are you attending? I grew up in the lower mass/upper rhode island area, and I had some friends go to different prep schools for high school.

20. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Tabor up in Marion, MA. I live in Westerly, so its one of the closest ones I looked at.