So i'm on the market for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pumo420, Aug 8, 2002.

1. mim fender jazz bass

25 vote(s)
  2. hamer cruise bass

2 vote(s)
  3. dean razor nt

5 vote(s)
  4. ibanez atk

20 vote(s)
  1. pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    Hi well like the name of the thread i'm on the market for a new bass. i already checkout the atk mim fender jazz bass hamer cruise bass dean razor nt and a lakland skyline and a mia p bass deluxe(not sure of the name but its the one that has the additional humbucker). bassically im looking for a nice not so expensive 4 string thatwould be very versitale. thanks to anybody who helps me :)
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    They all sound like good choices. I personally prefer the Mexican Jazz, though it has weak output unless you change pickups. I have not tried the Lakland Skyline series basses, yet, but have heard and read rave reviews about them. If all's true, that may be your best choice out of what you listed.

The Hamer and Dean would be lower on my list, but that's me. And, I've never been a fan of Ibanez, though some people are...
  3. I say the Ibanez ATK. Once again said, the best thing I-bee ever did. If you can't find one of those, then the MIM Jazz, but I voted ATK.
  4. I'd go with the MIM Jazz or the ATK. I'm not an Ibanez fan, although some of the higher end stuff isn't bad.

I voted for the MIM Jazz, though.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Everything you named is pretty good.

Out of the poll, I voted for the Dean. It narrowly edges the ATK. I love the ATK, but the Razor is Dean's best line IMHO.

Out of the basses you named, I would pick the Lakland in a heartbeat.
  6. The Lakland or Fender would be my choice.
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I voted for the MIM.

You can´t go wrong with a Jazz bass.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That technology is pretty innovative, but it has been around for a while now.
  9. pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    yeah i heard alot about these lightwave systems but howmuch are they i imagine around like 300 to -400$.
  10. MIM jazzbass VS Ibanez ATK... ... ...

Hmmmzzz.... very tough choice...

if the MIM jazzbass is the ( active ) deluxe, i'd 1000 % go for it.

if the MIM jazzbass is the ( passive ) standard, 100 % ATK is the way to be.
  11. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    You didn't say what kind of music you play, but
    if you are looking for something that kind of
    covers any base...(no pun intended) you might
    consider the inexpensive Precisions...they are
    versatile, for sure.
  12. pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    oops sorry i will be playing mostly jazz and blues and funk.
  13. You can't go wrong with the Fender Jazz for those styles.
  14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Voted MIM JB. But I think you should try to find a used MIA JB instead of a new MIM one.

I don't know how it works in the USA, but here in France you can find used MIA's for the same price than a new MIM.

All the best,
  15. I voted for the ATK.. I hope your talking about the 300 series??? I am a big Fender Jazz die hard to the core, but I voted for the ATK this time....... I have a ATK 305 and MIM fender Jazz. The ATK has a monster tone ,it blows almost all other basses(under a grand) out of the water,, big time>>>><<<<< The ATK 300 series are hard to find these days. You can always find a MIM Fender Jazz...Ever try a MTD Kingston 4 or 5? It's = to or slightly better than the MIM Jazz but not as good as a ATK. . Good luck.
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I think you should go for the one that sounds and plays best to you. The one you like the most after playing all of them and many others. Just my 2 cents worth.
  17. Is the Hamer a used American-made CruiseBass? If it is, grab it...especially if it has a 2-Tek bridge! If not, I'd probably choose the ATK or the MIM Jazz depending, of course, on how they feel and sound to you.
  18. TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    Spector NS20004

They are really nice neck through basses with EMG's, you can get one for under $550 on Special.
  19. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    if it's gotta be from those four, the MIM. I've owned several Ibanez basses, the Fender quality just seemed better all around to me (just MHO).

good luck with it!
  20. I wouldn't rule out the possibillity of looking for more options in looking for basses.

Although it wasn't in the poll I would go for the Lakland if you were looking for something for blues and jazz.

What's the budget like? How much to do you have to spend? I sounds like under a grand. I would definately go with the Lakland in the that case.

And that my friends is two cents worth.......