So, I'm seeing a therapist.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jazzbo, Apr 25, 2002.

1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'll admit, yesterday was a very very bad day. My general focus and attention span were all very bad. My energy was low, and I just simply didn't feel good. You know, this happens rarely, normally everything is great, and takes something quite impressive to throw me off.

So, my girlfriend convinced me not to skip my appointment. I went, even though I didn't feel into it.

He was very understanding, thankfully, and helped me with some focused, concentrated, exercises at the beginning of the hour. We even worked on breathing a little bit. I started to feel much better. But the great thing about him, is that he pushed me, he made me do things I wasn't expecting, and even in my sour state, it went okay.

I left feeling 180 degrees different. I leave every appointment with him feeling great, inspired, wonderful, happy. I've never left a single hour with him not feeling excellent after I left.

Funny, my therapist doesn't have any degrees in psychology, nor psychiatry. Really, he doesn't hold anything past a college Bachelor's Degree.

He's not really a therapist, he's my bass teacher. But man, sometimes I can't tell the difference. I pay rent because I need shelter. I buy groceries because I need to eat, but I pay for lessons because they're the best investment I could make.
  2. Man....posts like this makes me wish I could take lessons. I live on an island in the South Atlantic and I am the best bass player within 700 miles :p
    Helps that I am the ONLY bass player here...heh

2000+ people here, we have 6 drummers, 20+ guit**ists and ONE bass player...sigh. The phone calls are getting out of hand...although the free beer is nice. :cool:

Lessons would sure be nice, but I guess I will have to settle with being a bummed out hack :rolleyes:
  3. The last therapist i saw was called Linda.. But my visits to her were not client-related.. we dated for about 2 years, but there were just too many differences ( she was 4 years older than me.. )

yeah.. she was something special.. too bad it didn't last. :(
  4. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    I'm second guessing myself about trying to be self-taught now... ((getting my first bass next wednesday))
  5. I know what you mean Jazzbo! There are times when I just have to drag myself to a lesson. I'm tired...had a bad day, whatever, but I'm always glad I went after it's over! and I always want to run home and play whatever we went over! Good bass teachers rock!

6. Jazzbo, my friend there are parts of you that are my clone. I deal with the same thing on and off.
    Some weeks I am to busy to practice and want to blow off my therapist, he is a great therapist and I can tell him I didn't find time to proactice and he adapts the lesson to another route, making the time more fufilling.
    Also a great guy.
  7. I'm going to the therapist tonight. I need a good session to get me back on track!
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm going to go crawl into bed and cry now.

9. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I think you just defined the difference between a "Teacher" and an "Instructor".

Glad you god a good one pal.

10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I tense up when I'm struggling too. My teacher will start coaching me through my breathing, to relax me. As soon as he helps me get my breathing on track, my muscles loosen and relax, and my fingers and mind can work more easily. Invariably, whatever I'm playing starts to flow much better.
  11. See, I told you, I just did that.:D

In all honesty now that I am moving from BG to DB I can not comprehend trying to learn the DB without a teacher.

Hold the bass proper
    Hold your fingerboard hand proper
    Don't push down the strings down to hard
    Hear the notes perfect
    Finger the scales with the best motion
    Know where you are going before you get there
    Hold the bow proper
    Pluck the string for perfect effortless tone

Thats the easy stuff
    Its is adding the "relax" while doing the above that is the killer.
  12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    you're seeing the rapist?
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    ***?! Huh?!
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey, stealing is bad! Quite being such a... conn(ery)!

Jazzbo, the rapist = therapist. It's from a SNL skit.
  15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca the olden days (like, two years ago!), when i had a bad day before a lesson, i'd have a bad lesson. i'd totally drag my teacher down with me, so to speak. i wouldn't cooperate. i wouldn't communicate. i wouldn't put any enthusiasm (read: emotion, the most IMPORTANT PART IN F'N MUSIC IN THE FIRST PLACE!) into my playing.

but luckily that only happened maybe twice or so. now my days have smoothed out into a peak- and trough-less consistency.

yeah, so sorry to sully this thread.
  16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey bro

i wish i had a guy to go to like that. that's why i started having the bass player get togethers in atlanta about 4 years ago - hanging with other players serves this purpose for me.

man, i'm so psyched for may 11 :D.
  17. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I wish I could cook up something like that. It doesn't seem like too many active TBers are around here in socal though.

Of course if you are, you can watch *plug alert* my band At Margarittaville on May 23rd in Newport Beach or at Domenicos on May 24th in Pasadena. :D

Also! Don't forget to update the calander here. I like to check for local bands and if you update the calander and I find you on it, I will check your band out. :)
  18. thats weird... even if im having a bad day i always look forward to going to lessons :D... my teacher isnt the best teacher in town as in skill... in fact he is still in college

but man is that guy cool.. hes like 3 years older than me and it might be that it doesnt seem like doing lessons or getting taught or anything it just seems like going to a friends house every week on teusdays... hey sweet its teusday today isnt it :D i should be leaving for my lessons now
    the guy is very patient not one of those people who have been playing 40 years and thinks im horrible if i cant do that elementary stuff that he can play blindfolded. he comes up with messed up like nemonic devices for crap and he shows me awesome music or some song that i must learn every time.

are real great teachers that hard to find?
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    don't get me wrong, my teacher is a great guy and a great teacher (just ask brendan! :D ).

i'm more of an imploder than an exploder, sometimes to "black hole" levels.