1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm somewhat past the small hands thing...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cucooforcocoa, Jun 6, 2007.

1. cucooforcocoa

cucooforcocoa

Jun 5, 2007
    Newb here... Been on here reading and stuff and decided to post. Some of these posts really get you worrying Poll's about finger lengths and hands and what not...I was ready to pull the trigger on a short scale bass because of many small hand posts...There are some on here with bigger hands than mine from what they say their finger lengths are and they were whining so I was really hung up on that until I read many other more enlightened posts about not letting that consume you and what not so I am somewhat past that...however not completely so baby steps for me..I think at least a thin neck with maybe not so wide a nut/string spacing is better for me...I think if I get a chunky one I'll just think my hands are small...plus I've held some fatter necks and it didn't feel right...So I am looking for a 4 string thats not short scale. Want a good bang for the buck 4 string under $300. I was thinking SX jazz but someone said there neck didn't feel like a jazz...Also thought of the Vintage Squier Jazz...any thoughts? I haven't tried/held any of the two I mentioned but read about them on other posts here. And yes I know I use alot of elipsis' ...or whatever the plurar form is.

2. Stevem627

Stevem627

Nov 30, 2005
    Corinth, TX
    Without a doubt, I'd look at a Peavey USA used bass. They fit what you are looking for to at and are VERY high quality and there are a lot on eBay for $200 to $300 range.

3. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    Speaking as a late-life, small-handed beginner, let me throw this out: You don't know yet what you're going to want once you get to know the instrument. Personally, I went with a short-scale SX jazz, which is great value for the buck. Now that I've been playing a while, I can go to music stores and try out various basses with a better idea of whether they'll suit me. (And if you decide that you're not a bass player after all, you won't be out as much cash.)

Works for me, anyway...

Have fun!
    chas

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021