1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm starting a drum and bass band... thing.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrkreuzschlitz, Mar 23, 2009.

1. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    And I couldn't find this in the search, screw it.

The drummer in my band and I have been kicking around the idea of doing a little side project, bass and drums, i.e. death from above 1979.

My question is this. What is your favorite way to distort a bass amp going into a guitar amp? I'll be using a crossover and everything, probably just run the rull range to my rig and the mids + highs to the guitar amp (probably a Peavey Valveking fullstack) and have the Peavey distorted the whole time. What would be a good frequency to crossover at? Also, would the Valveking distortion suffice (it sounds REALLY good on guitar, thanks Eurotubes!) or would I need to put some dirt in front of it?

Also, what are some more ways to fill up the sound? Its gonna strictly a 2 piece band, just me and him, absolutely no one else. I was thinking a delay pedal and, god forbid I hate them, chorus pedal. Its all just an idea, but we're just trying to have some fun, you know?

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Listen to the White Stripes too.

Make sure your tone doesn't compete with the vocals.

Try running your bass into your bass amp and out the unbalanced line. If you need an EQ pedal to cut off the lows, then so be it but it seems like you already have the crossover.

You have a lot of big heavy gear. Enjoy that.

DFA had some dirt in the bass line. I am into phaser more than chorus.

If you want to mut some MSTRKRFT into the mix, then effects are good. You could probably get along well without much. A small pedalboard might be nice but unless you plan on really opening that pandora's box you could just stay far away.

A really noisy, glitchy drive/fuzz/dist that you tweak out when you mute your strings so you're playing your line when you're not playing your bass (and then a gate with a latchless footswitch) would be a great little trick.

You'll probably want wah, delay, and rev with that.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I hope that you know about MSTRKRFT.

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I can't say I know about MSTRKRFT.

I'm completely new to the drum/bass thing. We're going for like old school hardcore meets that DFA feel.

I've already got my sansamp, compressor, and whatnot, I figured I'd run that into the crossover, then into their respective amps. I didn't think about phaser. Reverb? Yes, good idea, but I'll use the Valveking's spring reverb. Wah is a great idea too, I guess I've got a pedalboard coming up. ;)

5. a simple capacitor in series with the signal into the input would work pretty well. you probably dont want too steep of a rolloff of the bass. maybe a 0.01 to 0.001 cap (just a guess). a f3 of 200-600hz would work well. you could mount it into a little box, with 2 outputs, one with the unaltered signal (to the bass amp) and the cap coupled one to the guitar amp. you could even put a variable resistor in parallel with the cap to add back some of that lost low end if neccesary.

the ibanez tube screamer pedals have a high pass similar to this with an f3 of ~700hz, and keep in mind that you are still getting the lost low end on the bass amp.
    may be a good idea to keep the highs/high mids on the bass amp pretty low to avoid much phase cancellation. you could stack the speakers vertically to eliminate it, but some amps could be 180 degrees different in phase, causing an issue.

otherwise do some experimenting to see what works well. just be wary that alot of bass (low end, not the instrument) can destroy guitar speakers.

6. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Check out Heavy Young Heathens. A bass/drum band.

7. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    Octaver would be cool. Think of the possibilities if you used a Whammy in Oct Down/Up mode and split the signal with clean going to the bass amp and the effected signal going to a distorted to hell guitar amp...

8. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    man, all these pedals are gonna make me go broke. ;)

so far the list to add to my pedal board is as follows:

delay,
    phaser,
    good distortion pedal,
    noise supressor,
    wah (maybe)
    reverb (maybe)
    and now, thanks to silver hammer, ;)
    whammy pedal.

My bank account is dead.

9. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    +1 to all that

and maybe a pog instead of a whammy (or in addition...)

10. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    pog? what does it do?

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Don't go crazy on effects until you ned them dude.

Seems like you have a good start, andthis year is bound to be a great recession windfall both for used gear and new products on the market.

POG - polyphonic octave generator.

I think the EBS Octabass might be better for you, as it octaves the lowest note and the others ring through which would be uber helpful.

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    MSTRKRFT is DFA's bass player's techno project

13. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Cool project, ala Jesse Keeler.

Have you considered looping? I have no experience with them, but Boss has several relatively inexpensive looping pedals that may be interesting to you (I'm thinking the RC-2?). Maybe lay down a quick groove and then throw some melody on top as appropriate?

Also, if you are using two amps (one for bass and another for higher frequencies) I wouldn't worry about getting too elaborate as far as crossovers, capacitors, and such. I would just turn down the low frequencies on the "guitar amp" to protect the speaker from excursion (you should be able to hear it if you are pushing too much low end, speaker will fart and rattle).

I have recently started playing in new blues band, and our guitarist having to have surgery has forced our rehearsals into a drum/bass/harp thing for the last month, so I my mind has been wandering to ways to spice it up along the same lines. I'll be interested to see how your project comes along.

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    this project has Boss Slicer written all over it.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I saw a band called Bitches who used a Russian Muff + MicroPOG in a drummer+bassist setup. Sounded real full and fat!