1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

...so i'm starting lessons soon!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ()smoke(), Mar 10, 2008.

1. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    i'd been at a fork in the road wherein i felt i needed to choose either guitar or bass and concentrate on one

...i've played guitar for much longer, and from a technical standpoint, i'm better at it--but i feel that i'm picking up the bass quicker and more naturally (maybe it's the guitar that helped, i don't know)

but, i finally realized that i can put more into both, especially bass--so i called a local instructor and will start saturday

i'm stoked

...and it will be all fretless since i sold my geddy lee last week and have no fretted bass anymore, which should make it even more interesting:bassist:

2. ynie92992

ynie92992

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    Congrats,man!:bassist:

3. Will it not be kinda hard to go fretted when your knowledge of notes is probably on a much shorter scale?
    But anyway... good on ya ;)

4. Awesome... I started taking lessons two months ago... played guitar beforehand (which i believe helps my bass playing) and about 5 months ago i started to mess around with my friends bass during band class and fell in love and got money and bought my first bass December 26 of last year... i'm learning a lot of lessons and i'm glad i got into bass...

good luck with the lessons... not sure about the whole fretless thing... does it have fret markers? if not might be a little harder lol

5. twobit

twobit

Nov 3, 2005
    Allen, Texas
    Who are you using? IM in the Dallas area and just started a couple of weeks ago.

6. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas

i'm going to study with Renilson Corrente--who are you with?

7. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    thanks man!

regarding the fretless thing--i've been playing more bass than guitar for the last couple of years, and before i put together my fretless, i concentrated for a long while on fretting notes as close to the frets as possilbe on my fretted to get my muscle memory started, so the transition wasn't such a drastic one

i'm not by any means 'good' on the fretless, but i feel comfortable enough that i prefer it to fretted and want to improve

it will undoubtedly be quite challenging, and i'm very excited about it...i like how it necessitates that i use my ear more than ever, and i think it will help me with both instruments tremendously:)

8. twobit

twobit

Nov 3, 2005
    Allen, Texas
    Clint Franzen in Plano.