1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm starting to listen to Jazz...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Deluge Of Sound, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Bit of a misnomer title, as I've had various jazz/jazz related albums kicking around in my collection for years. But the majority of it never really clicked with me, and the most played jazz in my collection was an Ornette Coleman box, a Django collection, and the first Mahavishnu record.

(On the flip side of that coin, Heavy Weather is at the absolute top of records I'll happily never listen to again, with the exception of the first four seconds of Palladium--that was kind of cool.)

Anyway, a few days ago I sat down and gave a serious listen to Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus. Wow. That's a really incredible record, and I can't go long without listening to it. Where do I find more jazz like that? You know, the good kind.:p

2. If you dug the Mingus you MUST hear this record:

[​IMG]

3. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow, so much...

If you like that era of jazz I would recommend checking out Archie Shepp, the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Sun Ra Archestra, Albert Ayler, Alice Coltrane, and John Coltrane's work circa 1960 on.

That should keep you busy for a little while. :bassist:

4. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    P.S. My favorite Mingus:
    [​IMG]

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Right on. I've listened to Giant Steps as well as Blue Train, and neither of those really left a lasting impression on me. I've always dug Sun Ra in theory, but haven't gotten a chance to check him out on record yet.

Any specific albums to check out?

6. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's a short list of some favorites:

Sun Ship - John Coltrane
    A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
    Live in Greenwich Village - Albert Ayler
    Spiritual Unity - Albert Ayler
    Universal Consciousness - Alice Coltrane
    The Magic of Ju-Ju - Archie Shepp
    Space is the Place - Sun Ra
    Unit Structures - Cecil Taylor
    Super Nova - Wayne Shorter

That should be a decent start...

7. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Someone's gotta say it: Ornette Coleman.

8. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The OP already listens to Coleman... but now that it's been put out there...

This Is Our Music
    The Shape of Jazz to Come
    Free Jazz
    New York Is Now
    Skies of America
    Song X
    Sound Grammar

Man, do I love Ornette...

9. This is my fave Mingus and, perhaps, my favorite Jazz disc of all:

Charles_Mingus_Mingus_Mingus_Mingus_Mingus_Mingus.jpg

I also strongly recommend the following:

The Lounge Lizards - 1st LP
    Mose Allison - Lessons in Living (w/ Jack Bruce and Billy Cobham)
    The Best Of The Gerry Mulligan Quartet With Chet Baker
    Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
    John Coltrane - Soultrane

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Dave Holland's "Conference of the Birds" is a beautiful one. Also, you might look into:
    Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch"
    Andrew Hill's "Point of Departure"
    and anything by Old and New Dreams, a band made up of Ornette Coleman alumni (Don Cherry, Dewey Redman, Ed Blackwell, Charlie Haden)

11. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Man, I HAVE to lay off TB before I'm fully nourished and caffeinated. Apologies in profusion to the OP.

12. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think the OP is looking for more "modern" stuff (60's and on).

+1 on the Lounge Lizards and Out to Lunch...

Also, I know a lot of people hate it, but I'm going to add Ascension by Coltrane to the mix... love that record...

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, I found a copy of his Beauty Is A Rare thing boxset a couple months at a yardsale for something like $15. Awesome stuff.

Re: Conference of the Birds... in a strange twist of fate, on of my all-time favorite records shares that title:
    http://www.amazon.com/Conference-Birds-Om/dp/B000EQ5QI6

14. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    It sounds like you like more bluesy/shuffly stuff. Give anything by Cannonball Adderly a listen, especially Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! And I suggest everyone to get everything by the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra. That band has some of the best players alive today and its the swingingest thing I've ever heard.

15. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Since this IS a bass forum and we're talking anout Ornette, for those of you in the NYC area, Trevor Dunn has a group called "the Proof Readers" that only does Coleman tunes... worth checking out... one of my favorite bass players ever.

16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Trevor Dunn played bass at the Melvins silver anniversary show in Boston, and helped deliver one of the best shows I've ever seen. If I'm ever in the area, I'll be sure to check 'em out.

17. I see the suggested jazz listening here is all over the map. Thou it's not clear what or why you're drawn into the style of jazz you're say you're liking. Jazz is a acquired taste. Some people only like to listen to what they think they can copy and others like listening to what's really out there. I'd suggest once you find out what you like, spend the time to figure out why and how it speaks to you. There are so many different colors in jazz.
    I'd like to suggest trying out, what I call, Miles Davis's, 3-decade span. Starting with the 1949 recording, thou release in 51, "Birth of The Cool". Then try out his 1959 recording "Kind Of Blue" then go ahead and try his 1969's offering "Bitches Brew".
    Columbia released The Essential Miles Davis that has a touch of everything he did on Columbia from the 50's to the 80's. .... But if you do get a chance listen to the whole recordings.

18. I am kind of a shallow jazz fan, but... I'm a huge fan of the Miles Davis from Bitches Brew onward (not that the early stuff wasn't valid and talented), Sun Ra, Mushroom, etc. a
    Jazz is just so bloody ahead of rock and pop music. It's like going from a full steak dinner to porridge.

19. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Miles "test" would be cool... but it seems like the OP would be most interested in the "second great quintet" (Sorcerer, ESP, Nefertiti, etc.) which falls between KoB and Bitches Brew...

It's true that Jazz is a nondescript term, like Rock or Pop... I find it's best for someone new to a genre to start w. what speaks to them right away, and then they can branch out from there...

20. Noak2

Noak2

Jun 16, 2009
    Sweden
    Mingus has been mentioned, I don't keep track of which records, but ''The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady'' & ''Let My Children Hear Music'' are two of his albums that are absolutely essential. You can also check out Jan Johansson's ''Jazz på Svenska'', Jazz renditions of swedish folk songs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020