1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I'm switching amp rigs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattyH, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    ...and I'd love some opinions!

I'm pretty much sold on it, so I probably wont have my mind changed by anyone. But here goes!

Current :
    Ampeg SVT 410HLF
    Hartke LH1000
    Fender Jazz Basses (AV 62 Reissue, 2011 MIM)
    MM Stingray 5

Switching to:
    Gallien Krueger Neo 212 (x2 possibly)
    Gallien Krueger 1001RBII
    Lakland 55-02

It's gonna be a big change for me, but I'm really excited for it. I feel like the LH1000 is limiting me, and the Ampeg is just too boomy no matter what I do. It's also big and bulky. I do weddings. I'm running out of room in my car, and I have so many gigs, the extra weight is starting to kill me!

2. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    And I'd love a 212 x2 stack for fun outdoor and larger gigs, while being able to take just one cab to your run-of-the-mill wedding venues :) Looking forward to that.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Should work nicely. The cabs are sweet and easy to move. Two of them will rock the BIG house. One TB'er here painted the grills black on his GK NEOs and that really looked good...

Lakland’s are sweet basses too. I have gas for a Lakland Dunn!

Can't go wrong with any of your choices, IMO. :bassist:

4. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    I gotta tell you I hate P basses but I played the Dunn and it did NOT play like a P! IMO It played like it's own bass. Sounded like it's own bass, felt like it's own bass. It was the best P I ever played, and in that case, Lakland is a winner! It's also beautiful. (It happened to be a beat to hell used Dunn and it still played great. It was sad to see it in that condition :rollno:)

But anyway, yea! I was looking for some good feedback, and I figured, although I've never used GK, everyone raves about them. Especially these 212 cabs. And Lakland has been my favorite bass manufacturer for a while. But for some reason, whenever it was a NBD, I always turned to Fender. Probably because my GAS would get bad, and Fenders are regularly available. Especially here on Long Island. My goal is to go from one extreme to the other by completely changing my rig. I think I'm going to accomplish that and be very satisfied.

5. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    I have recently switched to GK (from SWR), and love it. lighter weight and great sound.

6. I am a passive Fender J into Ampeg SVT II type of guy myself, however, whenever I practice with my band I use my G-K 1001RB head as it saves on the cost of replacing tubes. I find that at high volumes my ears (with plugs in of course) are fooled into thinking the G-K is an Ampeg and at lower volume (with either head) I play through a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal to get just a touch of overdrive. Your new rig sounds sweet to me and I can vouch for the rock solid head you are going to! Cheers.

7. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    What I'm most concerned about is, will it be enough of a change? I don't want to gig with it to realize it's boomy like the Ampeg, or hollow like old MarkBass stuff I had. I want this to be the rig to really rely on and to really make me happy. I guess it's normal to have the jitters before making big changes!

8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Might consider 210 x 2 - more than enough bottom without the boom. And probably a bit easier to transport.

9. drea2304

drea2304

Feb 13, 2012
    Central IL
    Putting together a lightweight rig myself. Tired of draging around SVT even though it's awsome. I went with Streamliner 900. I have the micro vr cab but don't think it will handle the GB.

10. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL

I used to own a GK 700rb II and GK Neo 212. It was a very aggressive rig with lots of high mids and growl. Plenty of lowend but not boomy.

11. drea2304

drea2304

Feb 13, 2012
    Central IL
    Used the streamliner last night at practice with 810 cab. Sounds great.

12. +1 Excellent choice... I have the 1001RBII and two Gallien Krueger Neo 212's. Nice, very nice. And scalable if you don't want to take both cabs. NEO's aren't everyone's cup of tea but I love 'em.