Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm thinkin of going five...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Money, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Now I know a lot of you, in your eternal greatness, are going to say "ESSEX! GET ONE!!!"

I am really considering one since they are cheap and you can get them active and with quilted tops:D

But, what else is out there? How do those Ibanez GSR 5's sound? Squiers?

I know I could just go play them and find out... But I am lazy and have a war to watch on TV. (I get extra-credit for knowing what is going on in the world)

I played an OLP string ray 5, and I was really diggin it...

Basicly, I have been getting alot of "You are my best student" from my bass teacher and a lot of "Dude, when I was playing for 2 years, I was no where near your level" from my friend/technique teacher. I guess people think I have some sort of potential because a lot of people are semi-shocked at what 2 years of no books and no lessons did for me. That has all really inspired me and I want to broaden my possibilities...

Anyways, back to these basses, what do yall think I should do?

(I have a $300 budget, btw)

2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    id say go with the essex, at least if its not for you you wont be out of the full 300. i wasnt really impressed with the ibanez 5's and especially not their 6's but thats beside the point. maybe a trb 5 string ibanez would work. schecter has some good 5's that are a bit lower end but you'd need to find one used and that would be a little difficult. the olp's sell for 249 and are decent for an entry level, i've played them a bunch but havent been sold on it mostly because i hate the neck. really though i think you answered youre own question with the essex remark.

3. shon

shon

Nov 27, 2002
    Healdsburg, CA!!
    save your money up and buy a used Modulus Q5 :D. It's WAY worth it.

4. whats an essex look like, pics pics

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    [​IMG]

That one... or zis one:

[​IMG]

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    www.rondomusic.com

Go to the basses page. I just ordered a Blue essex jazz from them, I can't wait for it to come!!!:):)

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    its not a 5, but the one i just ordered...[​IMG]

8. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Another good one you could check out if youlike fretless...[​IMG]

9. wahts so great about them??~?? i mean, when people say "im getting a 5" why are they the obvious first choice??~??

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Price. And apparetly theyre decent quality too.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Besides, if it's not for you, you're not out of alot of money.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've only once tried an OLP Ray 5 and despite the thrashing they get from people on this forum I was very impressed. I say if you play the OLP and like it jump all over it. If you get one as good as the one I played you'll be damn happy. Another nice 5 string at or near your price range is the Dean Edge 5 - I have a fretless one and I really love it. Picture here. The Edge 5 is probably about $100 over your price range even from places like www.musiciansfriend.com .

I don't think you can go wrong with a Brice or an Essex, they're reportedly great for the money. I would wait a little while, Kurt has mentioned many times in the "Essex Megathread" that he should be getting new models in April. He's mentioned a Brice 5 string Jazz bass that may be worth waiting for.