1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm thinking about buying an 8x10 and i've got it narrowed down to 3 choices......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingray2112, Sep 23, 2008.

1. I'm thinking about buying either this GK
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger-810RBX-8-x-10-Bass-Cabinet-482103-i1390426.gc

or this GK Goldline
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien...10-Bass-Speaker-Cabinet-103943676-i1169238.gc

or this Ampeg
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AMG-SVT810E-LIST

Now I've heard good and bad things about the goldline so for a couple of hundred more dollars if I can get a better speaker cabinet I'll do it. The other GK looks fairly decent and the Ampeg I know is amazing, it's an Ampeg so its gotta be amazing haha. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Have you played through an ampeg 810? A lot of people like it and a lot of people hate it. Definitely don't just assume that you'll love it. I'd go for the nicer GK out of those 3.

3. for a lot of modern music the GK 8x10's sound better. little more breakup and growl.

i have a vintage 8x10 and it's got a brighter tone and more punch while driving the low end

4. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    ever considered a mesa boogie?

5. :bag: .... or Hartke? :smug: But if it were me, the nicer GK! I'm one of those people who dislike the ampeg 810, it does its job well I'm just looking for a differently employee for a different job.

6. False. Ampegs are now being made on a budget overseas, instead of in America where they've been being made for years.

get the BRX. depending on what you're playing.

Either way, don't get a goldline.

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    If you can, check out the GK Neo 412.

Didn't care for the GK 810's, Do have the Ampeg classic 810 (SLM)
    May also want to check out the Hartke Hydrive 810.

The neo 412 and hydrive are close in price, somewhat.

Then again, this is only my opinion.

Also,

Gearhead, just because they're made overseas, (IME, IMO) still does not count it out as a good contender to the other 2 the OP listed. I know a few dozen folks that use (Loud) 810's without any more problems than the ones made 10- 15 years ago. IIRC, the BLX series are made in china also, right? (brx is carvin.)

8. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
  9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You're thinking about an 8X10...why? I don't know of many people who really need all that unless they are doing really big shows. Have you thought about transporting, weight, hassle, etc? There are lots of good 4X10's that will pump out a lot of sound and move a lot of air if that's what you think you need.

If I really needed 8 10's, I'd go with 2 4X10 cabs.

10. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Just get the Bergantino NV610 and be done with it. Sounds better, lighter, easier to move.

11. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    It is not the end all be all. A lot of us hate sealed/tweeterless cabs... It works for some not for others.

12. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    +1,000

Excellent Points!

13. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    I own the ampeg 8x10. Unless you have to carry it upstairs it's not that hard to transport (I assume you have a truck or trailer available). The towel bar combine with the caster wheels makes it real easy to tilt back and roll anywhere. It comes down to wether you like the sound or not. So if you try it out at GC or SA etc. and buy it there, you can try it out in your band situation and take it back if you don't like it (the best thing about GC). Just be careful with the tolex, it tears so easy. I would prefer to go smaller, but w/o pa support most of the time it keeps up well with a loud guitarist and drummer. Again if you have a truck or trailer it's not that hard to move.

14. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Easy. Speakers closer to your ears allow you to hear yourself better at ALL volumes. I can get by with an 810 quieter than any cab that's at my waist.

Also, an 810, 412, or any bigger cab is easier to move to me than a smaller one. You don't have to pick it up and carry it the whole way because of the wheels. Then when you get it to your vehicle, you just tilt it over and push it in.

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    +1, when weight is not a concerning factor.
    Anyone have an Ampeg 410hlf?, is this the one that has the same casters and handle as the 810? You have to bend down to roll it, as opposed to standing straight and rolling it, not as awkward to move. Plus forget about comparing a 410 to an 810, 2 410's sure, but no 1 410 moves as much air.

16. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    (coughCarvincough) ;)

Shipping is still a pain, but it's $55 cheaper and still from Carvin. Not bad.

I can't vouch for how well the Carvin cabs are, though. Of the three you [Stringray89] narrowed it down to, I'd go with the Ampeg or GK 810RBX. I've got no experience with 810 cabs, however.

17. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I can. I've been gigging one for quite a while now and couldn't be happier.

18. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Acoustic is coming out with an 810 soon, if it's not out yet. Many people who have played the new Acoustic cabinets (the 410 and 115 are out so far) have really liked them, and they're quite competitively priced. I'd look into that before shelling out for one of those others.

One difference I would expect between different brands of 810 is the internal construction. The Ampeg, which it must be said put the 810 bass cab on the map, has four compartments with two speakers in each. I think some of the other cabs have fewer baffles. And there is the tweeter/no tweeter factor as well.

19. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    You should also check out Acoustic's 8x10 you might be supprised...