So I'm thinking about fretlessin' my acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Agito, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    Hey, I've got a Takamine EG512C (Korean) acoustic bass which I'm having a bit trouble to sell...
    Anyhow, I thought about making it fretless, it sounds good need a bit of electronic repair plus it features the piezo.

Anyhow, would you recommend me doing so? I do need a fretless bass for different stuff and not for just toying around.

So should I do this modification?

Thank you,

Danny.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Only do it if you do it right!

There are many threads about how to remove frets - done right, it takes 20+ hours and meticulous attention to detail.

And it is critical to fill the fret lines with a non-compressible material or you may end up with a neck that bows forward excessively.

Would I do it? No.

A Takemine is a fine instrument - I have to think that if you want to sell, between Craigslist and TB classifieds you would have no trouble doing so. Pay the member fee and you can use the classifieds.

3. bamba22

bamba22 Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    Takamine is japanise

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I say keep working to sell it, and buy a Squier VM Fretless Jazz.

5. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Defretting by a repair shop will run you around $150. Selling ithe Takamine and buying a dedicated fretless seems like a better plan.

6. Now that you've put the idea out there, I think I may consider doing that to my 'Espanola' acoustic...

Maybe...

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I yanked the rails on my G Series a few years ago. Never shaved the saddle, so the strings are 1/4"+ off the board. Good for the acoustic volume since it's a camping/outdoors bass.

At the time, if Takamine offered a fretless, I might have skipped the mod and bought one. Today, I'd leave the frets and find a used Boulder Creek fretless. Can't really sell the 512, my wife gave it to me for our engagement (she got the ring, I got a bass).
    EG-512.jpg

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021