1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm thinking of a '75 RI American Jazz.......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by epoxo57, Jul 19, 2007.

1. epoxo57

epoxo57 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    I would like to know y'all's opinion for one of these beauties. Would you recommend the maple w/black inlays or the rosewood with pearl inlays? Traditionally, I have been a rosewood guy, but can't get over shexxxyness of the maple/black combo. I'm afraid the maple may be a little bright since I like warmer tone, but I guess I could always turn the treble down. I don't think there is a shop locally that has them, so its a pricey gamble.

Thanks for your advise/input!

Scott

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Maple w/ black
    Maple w/ black
    Maple w/ black

If its too bright, but the tone knob down about halfway. Maple doesn't brighten the tone as much as all that, I actually think rosewood darkens more than maple brightens.

3. maple and black

4. Maybe this will change your mind?

l_d5dfb349f8b94586b912d020b257e9ed.

Rosewood + Pearl :)

I originally preferred the black and maple combo but when i bought this bass they messed up the order and send me the rosewood and pearl version. I was very pissed off at the time and I couldn't send it back because I had it shipped over from the USA and it cost about $200 just in shipping so I decided to keep it.

It didn't take long for the rosewood and pearl combo to grow on me I can say that for sure. I then remember comparing to someones 75 jazz with black and maple a few months later and to me the pearl seemed nicer as an inlay.

Up to you, but tbh I can't imagine the maple making THAT much difference in tone. Only a trained ear will really notice anything and I guess when you gig with it not many people at all would be able to pick out the extra sharpness of maple without seeing it. Besides treble and be reduced in the EQ.

Regardless of that its a nice sounding bass, I had a full set up done on the bass for action, neck relief etc all that stuff and it plays like a dream now. The metal pickup cover takes getting used to and tbh it would probably be easier to play with it off but it looks too damn flashy and cool to take off :D

Nice growly tone. Have had several bass players say to me at gigs what a great tone it has. (Run through a GK 410SBX + 1001rb-II)

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I recommend pearl with either fingerboard wood.

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    You cant go wrong either way. I played one of these basses at Elderly for around 20 minutes today and it was totally killer. Oh and there's is Ask/Maple w/ Black Binding/Blocks. Cool looker.

The rosewood looks nice for contrast. Too bad they dont make a maple w/ Pearl binding blocks. I did tho!

[​IMG]

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I did not think that was an option for the US 75RI. Must be new.

8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
  9. Bought one a few days ago, can't wait to get it when stock arrives. Played both maple and rosewood and both sound and play mojofunkabooty.

Have a MIJ version at the minute, heavy pearl inlays on maple yeh! but no 70's pup spacing either!!! Doh! I went the maple with black inlays.

BTW, the rosewood version sounds awesome, warmer but still very punchy and dynamic.

On the seventh day god and leo created the 75 J bass. :)

10. +1 on the rosewood. I don't think the difference between the maple/rosewood board will make much difference in tone, to be honest. Either way, these basses are a snappy as hell. Great tone and they seriously look the schnitz in any colour/board combination.

11. I've always wondered why the MIJ version doesn't have 70's spacing.....If it did I would buy one.

Glad to see you've bought the real thing though, It'll match Tass'! His has the best piece of ash I have ever seen on any bass, it is simply breath-taking!

12. That's a really good photo, you should send it to fender. Does the whole thing justice.

The rosewood and pearl is a seriously nice combo.

13. The MIA is totally horn. I haven't told tass I've bought it yet but I'm sure he won't be surprised. I have almost the same taste as tass with exception of fretless. I'm not into them much, more into 70's disco funk soul motown etc.

Guy and Mel have the MIJ 75 and another 06 J bass to sell, just have to wait a few weeks for stock.

Next will be a stingray 5 and a 62 J RI and that should fix all gas attacks for good. Until next month anyway.

BTW trying to find a passive tone control mod for my MM 5 without success. Maybe Sadowsky preamp with vintage tone control may be the go. Like playing passive more now.

14. I'm just about to put some fresh Hi-beams on my SR5! Such a great bass....also recently bought a used white MIM jazz and torted it....I had 62 RI fever...Was planning on doing to two tone control lay out but I prefer the 70s tone as well. How sick is Tass's Marcus? They look amazing in white.

Hmm, maybe the onboard is the go. It'd be a massive improvement on the stock preamp on the marcus, I've always found it to be extremely bassy and much prefer the Sadowsky preamp. The outboard pre doesn't have the VTC does it...Whack some nordstrands in the MM 5 too and that be out of this world...

15. ArmyPunkGuy

ArmyPunkGuy

Dec 25, 2006
    i still like the natural body and maple fingerboard...classic looking

16. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    I've owned an AVS '75 RI in maple/swamp ash and now a Geddy Lee Sig. The neck and fretwork on the Geddy is superior to my previous USA model, and it cost 1/2 as much.

17. epoxo57

epoxo57 Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Wow, you guys make it hard on a fella to decide for sure! But thanks for your suggestions. My wallet says don't make any rash decisions :D

18. Yep, 62 RI in white with tort and rosewood. I really like the MM 4 in white, it's a change and a good example.

I put hi beams and a bad ass on the 75 MIJ RI and far out did that make a difference! It was fat and that's what lead me to conclude that 75's are what i like to hear and play. So buying the new one was a no brainer.

Now I totally understand why dude go on and on about 70's j basses and playing them passive. It just sounds great.

I'm sort of kicking myself for not realizing this earlier and have been through 4 basses before finding my way to what i really wanted. I guess at least it's given me some experience to know why the bass is the one.

As for the MM 5, the only thing that bother me is not being able to back off the treble in passive. The thing is so bright it's blinding. Cut through mix? It would be lead instrument!

I'm thinking either a sadowsky pre with vtc or simple mod to enable existing. As for the pickups, are the nords that much better than fender vintage? I've never heard the nords so it's unknown territory. As for the bass it is a keeper, just needs a tweek.

Cheers,

19. Man, you have nothing to worry about. I've had the MIJ and now bought a MIA. I know there's a lot of good MIJ's out there but if you want a real replica you need to buy the MIA.

This is one case where the american made is totally awesome out of the box with no changes. Ok maybe strings and a BA? Maybe.

These basses are awesome. To be honest I'd rather a RI than the original. Especially if it's about playing rather than collecting or investment.

Maple or rosewood boards they both sound incredible and look hot. Also, they are light too, obviously some nice timber.

All fender need to do is offer the maple with pearl and that would just top it off.

I believe fender did release 100 of these but they are $8000AU. I did think about it for about 3 mins before sighing.

Black inlays it is and they are growing on me anyway.

Pick one up, spend a fair amount of time paying attention to how well made they are and play it, just make sure you have at least the deposit. You'll need it. :)

20. Yeah, I played that used 75 RI they've got in a few weeks ago, man it sounded killer through my Berg HT112, snappy as all hell.

I haven't actually heard nordies in person but I've heard from a fellow TBer who had an MM5 with Nordstrands and an Aggy OBP-1 pre that they smoked the stock pickups. Much more fatter, heaps more clarity, just everything was better...I'd love to hear them myself personally. When I've got the cash I'll be buying some and whacking them in the MIM as the stock pickups are pretty crap. Hopefully that will happen soon so I'll let you know!