1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I'm thinking of moving to Omaha

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pacman, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    So, I'm thinking of moving to Omaha, NE. Anyone know anything about it? Schools, real estate, gigging scene (although I'm already plugged into that...)

Anyone?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Couldn't even point it out on a map!

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    All I know is that 311 comes from there. But I don't know much about the east coast (everything east of Vegas).

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why move?

bc

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Come on doooooooooown! Lived here for about 15 years or so. Are you going to be transfering? Are you Army or Air Force?

The town:
    You've got Omaha, and then you've got the Omaha Metro area that is made up of a bunch of smaller towns and burbs which is kind of like the burrows in NYC...and like most everyother Metro area. Most of them have their own mayors city councils etc. They're all connected. Papillion, is by far, the nicest of all of them. I just posted this in another thread, but a couple of months ago it was rated number 6 in the top places in the US to live by Money Magazine. Great town. Bellevue is where the AFB is. Not a bad place, but is much larger than Papillion and as such has more crime and problems. La Vista and Ralston are the smallest towns in the metro and can't really grow anymore so they're a little more run down than the others. Millard is another decent area but they, unlike the others, are under the rule of Omaha. They and Elkhorn don't have they're own city councils, mayors, etc...not a huge deal, but it's nice that some of the smaller cities have their own police force, fire dept, etc.

Omaha is a 20 minute town. You can get anywhere in the metro in about 20 minutes. The interstate/highway system here is pretty great.

Homes:
    The housing market is pretty great. You can get new/newer NICE homes for $150k and up in the 2000 sq ft range. Papillion's average income is over $100k, so the houses here are little pricier, but still can be had in a reasonable range. One major downfall here is the property tax. My house is about 1200 sq ft cost me just about 100k and my annual property tax is about two grand.

Schools:
    Pretty good depending on which town you live in. The Omaha Public School district is going through a ton of problems right now.

Music Scene:
    Really depends. I know a lot of the Air Force band musicians and they all seem to gig pretty regularly - jazz mostly. Omaha's got an interesting scene. It's the home of Saddle Creek Records so the indie/folk singer/songwriter thing is pretty huge here.

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Cause he wants to be closer to me.

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's an Air Force move. I'm in with a few of the guys there (one of whom is a gigging machine with connections to Nashville, and it would open some doors for my career post-military.

I'm also needing a change of scenery. The gigging scene in San Antonio is pretty weak. The musical bar is pretty low, the money's even lower. I'm getting sick of the heat, and I don't want my daughter to go to high school here.

Turtle - you know Jimmy Weber?

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I was at Offutt about 3 weeks ago. Here's how I would describe it. Walk out into your garage right now (hopefully with a load of wet towels in the dryer) and stick your head in a bag of dog food.:p There is rendering plant near the base, and when the wind is right, you can taste the meaty goodness. It's gawdawful. Otherwise a nice base. Very Air Force-y (lots of big funny-looking jets with no windows) with a lot of SAC heritage. Didn't see much of the town, but I know lots of folks who live there and they describe it as "a good place for families," for what that's worth. Is that the Heartland Band?

By the way, I'm headed down to San Antonio next month to take over as the AFIOC supe up on the hill. Putting the Pentagon in my rear-view will not hurt my feelings one bit. :D :D :D

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sweet! First beers on me, Chief!

I cycled in Omaha two summers ago on a training ride a day or two before RAGBRAI, and hit that wall of stench from the rending plant. It was almost physical. Gawd-awful is the kindest thing you could say about it.

You got any friends in that funny looking building that could spring me from here?

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    LOL yeah I know Jimmy very well. And you are correct, he has tons of ties to Nashville. He's a FREAK of a guitar player/singer and a very talented song writer. He's been coming into my shop for years. In fact, when I was 18 or 19 I did a gig with him. I knew him by reputation only and we didn't meet until the gig. I was so scared to NOT impress this guy. 10 seconds after meeting him he had me in stitches. Seriously, one of the coolest, funniest, and most laid back people I've ever met.

11. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Aaaaaaaaah yes. The smell of Bellevue. I actually blame it on the fact that we're so close to Iowa. Once you get out of the area, the smell goes away...thankfully...or else I'd have moved.

And yes it is a great town for family.

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Oh yeah, you're a gun guy, right? We've got good hunting and decent fishing. Also, as of January, we're a CCW state.

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, Jimmy was the guitar player I took to Iraq with my band last year. I laughed the whole time - seriously! Midnight combat landings, helicopters over Baghdad, mortars in Balad - didn't matter we laughed ourselves silly. And formed a musical bond that has to continue. He's really excited about me getting there (which I'm banking on, I'm going to need his help getting there!), and it sounds like if I do, I'll be in his group too.

Edit: Bet you've never seen Jimmy like this:

IMG_0095.

Edit two: Next time you see him, say "Jimmy, the wheels on the bus go ROUND and ROUND!" (try to sound angry...)