Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so i'm waiting to see 40 year old virgin...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Aug 29, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    mods move this if nesc.

so we decide to check out barnes and noble to kill some time.

so i go right to theonly section that really interests me(besides the sex ed section), which is the music section.

so i am looking through a bunch of different bass books and i come accross one that caught my eye. bass playing for dummies. one of those yellow and black dummy books. so i said frig it. if it sucks, i can always return it.

so i'm at home on sunday, reading, and i find the book very helpful. after skimming through it, and moving to sections on reading music and this one section about scales. it answered every question that my x guitar player would try to answer for me, but would always just tell me something that didnt make sense. this book made sense of all of it.

so yeah. this book helped a lot.

on a side note, the movie was funny as hell.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Would you reccomend it for more new people or intermediate?

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I think any level of movie watcher could probably go see it.

brad cook

4. lol!!!

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    hahahaha :p

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bass For Dummies would be ideal for the beginner/intermediate player...or, for that matter, any level of movie watcher.

7. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ive been playing for about 8 years. only thing im not really good with is reading music. the book is basically for anyone. as it says in the first section, from beginers to pro's.

i think it offers something for everyone. not sure though yet, because im only 1/8th of the way through it.

as for 40 y/o virgin, its a movie for all levels...

:D

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Are you sure it wasn't The Complete Idiot's Guide to Bass?

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    no, it was defintely bass guitar for dummies.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm sure he meant the Bass Guitar for Dummies book by the description of the cover. I've seen it at the book store before...seemed like a pretty good book. I've got the Art for Dummies book and was surprised at how good it is.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I want to catch the movie, just to see what my life is going to be like from now till 40.

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thumbs up for that one Brad! I actually laughed out loud reading that! :D

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Okay, just wondering. There is a "Complete Idiot's Guide" series of books and a "for Dummies" series, and sometimes it's hard to keep track of which one's which.

I'd like to write a book that combines the two: The Complete Idiot's Guide for Dummies. Can you say best seller?

14. ROFLMAO.... I suspect there's a LARGE market for that one....

Randy

15. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Go see four brothers. Guns, doing stuff on washing machines, guns, crime, revenge, dirty cops, hockey, basketball, turkey, car chases. It was like watching my life frame by frame.

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    If you really wanted to see a 40 year old virgin, you could probbably find plenty hanging out on internet message boards.

17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yeah ahhh I'm 16. :rolleyes:

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whatever, the Qintar.

brad cook

19. :D

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Great...only 24 more years for you, then!