Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I'm writing a letter and signing a check...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Mar 10, 2005.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Within a few hours, an order form is going to be sent by post to a Parisian shop I know well. Enclosed this order form will be a 1,999.- check. Yes, it's much, and will seem very pricey to some of you, compared to the American street price.

But of course, now your question may be : what is he buying ?

I had a long hesitation. As you know I had own a 4-string passive Jazz Bass (Highway 1) for one year, and from what I experienced this is a great bass. At least I have a huge tone with it.

On the other side, I needed a 5er for a few songs I play in the band, and I had got a used Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5 at a ridiculous price. Good deal somewhat, but after a few days two things appeared clear to me :

- On stage, switching from 4-string passive to 5-string active is a fuss.
    - Even for 5 or 6 songs through the program, the Rockbass wouldn't fit my needs. I wish to specify it is MY own experience, and I must acknowledge the Rockbass is a very decent bass for the money.

Now the Rockbass is gone since Monday, and the Jazz goes tomorrow morning. :( If money was not an issue for my new purchase, I would have kept this Jazz.

And now the dilemma : what to buy ?

First reflexion : if I need a 5er, even for a few songs (but songs that REQUIRE it), I should get a pretty high-end one. I don't trust cheapos that much. They are able seduce you in shops, the seduction goes a step forward when you learn the price, and then you seem to switch to nirvana when you have finished talking the boss down for the price. But a few days later, disappointment may happen.

Given that I couldn't reasonabily keep the Jazz while gasing for a pretty high-end bass (woudl I dare to say "a real professional bass" ?), I figured out I was bound to downsize my arsenal to one piece only. But one high-quality piece.

After looking over several brands and basses :
    - Warwick Thumb 5, but I'm afraid it does not fit my needs, and I'm not diiscplinated enough to wax a bass twice a month.
    - Same thing for the Corcette Std 5, don"t want the so beautiful wood to dry and crackle.
    - Thought of an SR5. Well known for his kindness and skill, Gard had a look, on my demand, at the used SR5 stock at BC : none for the moment.

Finally, and yes the suspense ends here, I decided to make the big jump, and I am ordering a Fender Jazz Bass American Deluxe 5, in ash version, butterscotch blonde, black pickguard, maple fretboard.

[​IMG]

Some time ago I had already expressed how these basses were teasing me : http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160028
    Feedbacks and opinios form many users were valuable.

Now I know, after hundreds readings of those numerous posts, that whatever I'll have to play, a Fender will do the job. And having 5 strings and active electronics aboard will be the most efficient solution for me, especially live.

So thanks again to everyone for your feedbacks, comment still appreciated.

Cheers
    Jay

2. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Maybe let's wait for the bass to be delivered ?
    ;)

Yeah, I promise pics to be posted here, right on the day on delivery ! :D

Cheers,
    JL

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    "GOOD CALL!!"
    I think you did the correct thing! You got a great bass, and if and when you want to upgrade anything, you'll have many parts(pickups, hardware, even necks!!)at your ready, on the shelf!!!
    BRAVO!!!

4. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Good to see at least someone can make a clear decision on a bass....cause I never can !! Good Luck

5. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I must say I do an almost unreasonable financial effort by buying this bass.
    Fortunately, the kind shop I get this bass from offers a payment facility (3 checks cashed through a 3 month time). Without this offer, I wouldn't be able, at this time, to get such a bass, and I would be bound to get the "just decent" Cort Artisan C5Q that's in a shop around.
    This financial effort, in my current situation, fears me a bit (but I always get anxious for a while when I sign a big amount by checks), but even if I have to eat pasta or potatoes for a few days, the pleasure will be worth any euro I spend.

Thanks for your kind comments !
    Cheers,
    JL

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you're really going to like this bass. I gig my Am Deluxe FMT V more than any other bass, and it's a great bass for me, and a great bass for a Frenchman. But what will your countrymen think of you playing an American bass?

7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My countrymen, or so called, love American stuff.
    And we love American people too.
    Dont' believe what you read in the papers or hear on the radio.
    But I guess you already knew that.

8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I made a clear decision... after weeks of hesitation...
    :D

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm trusting that you have a sense of humor. My experience in my travels has been that people are people, and I like most of them.

10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Update :

I was about to send the order when my local store told me he had received some Fender USA stuff (he just began to be a Fender USA dealer). So early this afternoon, here I am in his shop, I take the checks from my pocket to order the J AM Deluxe V. He calls Fender and the reply is : ZERO IN STOCK, 2 MONTHS WAIT MINIMUM... :(

I needed a 5er right now. He finally gave me a very good deal on a Music Man SUB 5 (active version). Street price 1,490 EUR, paid 890. (Review and pics coming soon, but today is my birthday and I am invited in restaurant by my sweetie this evening).

And so I had some money left to spend, and I got me an AKG UHF transmitter/receiver.

Finally was a good day for me ! Good deal, good bass, and UHF.
    :D

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Woohoo MM!! :D

Didn't you say it was troublesome going from 4 string passive to 5 string active though?

12. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Yes, it's a bit troublesome when you switch from such different basses on stage.
    But I don"t have this problem any more, since this SUB5 is my only bass.

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I am curious. At that price, would a European-made bass of some have been in your price range?

14. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Oh, I see, somehow missed that in your original post.

15. I would have suggested Sandberg. Their Ken Taylor Basic model goes for around 1000-1200 Euros here(read, Germany) and is an absolutly fantastic fiver at that price.
    It is actually cheaper to directly import an american bass than buy it locally. Good thing the Euro's strong at the moment.