Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So is it wrong to be broke?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HRC Matt, Oct 6, 2004.

1. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    i'm 19, living at home....i got to the local college, i make descent grades, i have an okay paying job....but im completly broke cause every $ i get, its goes to sam ash or musicians friend for something crazy:

past 6 months purchased:

american lefty fender jazz
    samson airline bass wireless
    mesa boogie 1-15 (to match 4-10)
    $100 worth of string
    trace elliot 1-10 (practice amp)
    sabine rack tuner
    and about 100 packs of cigarettes...

man it sure is awesome to look in the bank and see you only have a little money but you turn your head and realize you got a bad ass bass rig with some kick ass equipment...really makes me excited, but sad when i need cigarette money.

2. Quit smoking and start playing the kazoo.

3. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    your right

4. As always

5. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    :smug:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    i'll hafta disagree....but it may be because i have a wife, son, mortgage payment, and the need to keep my home warm and the lights on.

-Mike

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

Same here, but when you own your own place, debt scares you a lot. Cause they can take your stuff.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Drop the cigs and I see no problem

9. Hey guys, you do that he isn't asking for a way to get money, hes just trying to find a sneaky way to tell us all about all the gear he has. I just realized that. And my NEW reply is...

OH MY GOD, YOU HAVE A BASS???? I HAVE A BASS TOO!!!!

10. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Which is my left.

11. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I have almost similar living conditions, except the part with the cigarettes, the job, and the killer bass setup...

...I guess I'm not even close. :meh:

12. seek professional help sooner than later...

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Steal your cigarettes.

Or quit bass.

Or vice versa.

14. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    i'm pretty sure most people have a nicer setup than that, im not trying to brag. so oh my god, you have a bass? I HAVE TWO!!!!!!!!!

15. Well, you already have the nice setup...so that's behind you.

If you learn to curb your addictions, (and not talking about smoking alone, but g.a.s. as well) your next paycheck should be better off. How about banking some of what you would otherwise feel compulsed to spend on a piece of gear you don't need?

You'll be in the black soon enough...

Oh, and the family mortgage lights on sentiments echo me entirely...to which I say:

Omigod! You have two basses? I have 6! :smug:

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Start gambling...gambling solves all problems...

17. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

There's your problem, right there. You need to start shopping with the little guys. Every time you buy something from a big box retailer, God kills a kitten.

18. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    And everytime you shop the little guys you have to wait 4 weeks for it to be "special ordered" and you pay 25% more.

The kitten dies. :smug:

I'm going to go against the grain and tell you not to worry about quitting smoking right now. You're 19 - you've got another 5-8 years of hard core smoking that you can enjoy and still totally recover from if you quit before you're 30. It might be harder to quit then. But it's totally do-able.

;)

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    quit smoking - for a lot of reasons
    put 10% of what you earn in the bank without fail (and dont touch it) later on you can invest it - do this for life
    if you have any debt pay it off as fast as possible without messing with the saving 10% rule
    buy your own place when you can
    stay out of debt - except for the mortgage
    pay off the house as fast as you can

20. Stop buying bass gear. You have enough. Start buying car stuff. Like me!! Brand new paint job, $1,145!!:D

Rock on
    Eric:ninja: