1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So, is the Southampton Fifth Gear v2 the same pedal as the Wren & Cuff Suppa Phat Phuk?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tpaul, Nov 20, 2017.

1. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Or what?

zapped777 likes this.
  2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Don't think so. Similar purpose? Maybe. Same pedal? Doubt it.

3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Nope.

blindrabbit likes this.
  4. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Anyone got comparison clips?

zapped777 likes this.
  5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they're completely different circuits and do not sound alike.

6. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    AS one of the partners I can safely say they are not the same circuit

blindrabbit, Nunovsky and Oneud like this.
  7. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Thanks! The only reason I asked, is that I see them mentioned a lot as being similar.

Any further info would be great - or if someone has both, and can describe the differences or post clips, that would be very helpful. I'm not as interested in the circuitry as in the sound (though it is cool to know the circuitry is different).

DirtyDuke and zapped777 like this.
  8. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    The PP is a dirty boost, good at driving an amp or other pedals into overdrive. On its own it doesn't add much grind or OD. The 5th Gear gets much dirtier. I prefer the 5th Gear but really they are two very different pedals.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Totally different pedals, but both can add tonal magic. I can't answer your question directly as I've only had Phat Phuk Bs and Fifth Gear V1s (yes, plural in both cases), but indirectly:

The Fifth Gear circuit seems to make your tone richer. More midrange complexity, maybe even a little fatter but that doesn't really capture it exactly. It can serve as a lovely OD, but I prefer it run as a tone sweetener at the front of my chain. It really loves being stacked with other pedals, and I find that if you put it before anything else you own, it'll make that other pedal sound better.

The Phatty puts a lovely "shine" onto your tone, along with some grit. I wouldn't call it fattening or girth-adding, but like the Fifth Gear, it seems to make everything sound better.

If it was up to me, everyone would have one of each of these in their signal chain, and should run them on all the time. :)

zapped777 likes this.
  10. This isn't wrong. :)