Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, Is This A Rip?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGod, Sep 5, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Quick question here: I played an Ibanez SR506 at a local music store, and really liked it. After playing for a while, I asked how much it would cost, and he said $1000 (Canadian, remember). Anyway, I figured that was way too expensive (Sam Ash charges $599 USD), so I left, disappointed.

The exchange rate can't make for a $400 increase, can it? Will music stores negotiate prices with you, or do you think $1000 is a fair price?

Graeme :bassist:

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Everything is negotiable. If you don't think it is a good deal than don't buy it. I think $550 (usd) out the door is a good price for this bass. Make them an offer that you think is fair and realistic. Bottom line, you have to be ok with the amount of money you are spending on whatever you buy, good luck.

3. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    ya , most music stores will negotiate prices with you and i would suggest sopping around and looking and the same thing diffrent places befor you buy b/c youll get stuff for alot cheper that way

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I paid $599 US for this bass, and I'd easily have payed $1000 US for it. YMMV, but if you feel like it's a rip, then it's a rip in your book. Haggle 'em a bit.

5. Print out the Sam Ash price, and show it to them. That'll make it drop real quick.

6. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  7. 600 US ~ 725 CDN. Besides a few border issues I can't see why it would jump so much. Try to get the guy to haggle, or show him the Sam Ash price. You can get a better deal than that, check out other local stores for the same model.

8. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Too expensive.

I saw two at Songbird Music in Toronto for $600 CAD less than a year ago.

I actually purchased one, dropped EMG in it, and resold to somebody who really liked it for what I paid.

If you do purchase from the US and you're from Canada, you will have to pay taxes when it crosses the border. Expect it to be close to 20% for North American made, more if made out of NAFTA region.

9. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    You should see how much they jack up the price here in Australia, i can get a Lakland 55-01 for 699 USD, which is roughly about 950 AUD?

If i buy them from a store here, id pay 1600 AUD +

not happy Jan