So, Is This Considered High Or Low Action?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 28, 2006.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Alright, I've set my action pretty much the way I like it. I still get some buzz though. Anyway, I measured the action on both sides of the neck, and came up with these figures, measured from the top of the twelve fret to the bottom of the string (I'm told this is how action should be measured):

E-string side: 2 millimetres

G-string side: 1.3 millimetres

So would this be considered high or low, in your opinion? I'm just wondering, as I honestly don't know what to make of this.

Also, I know buzzing occurs more when you dig in. But is it normal to get more buzzing when playing with a pick, or when in drop-D tuning? I set the action for fingerstyle, slap, and tap playing, in standard tuning, as this is what I play in 90% of the time. But when I drop tune or play with a pick, I get more buzz. Is this normal, or is it a potential problem?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Which fret? The typical setup for a bass is:

After making sure that your bass' neck has a proper amount of relief (this is crucial), the gap between the bottom of all strings and the top of the 12th fret should be 3/32" (2.38 mm). Then lower the G string by 1/64" (0,4 mm) and raise the B string by the same amount.

Of course every manufacturer recommends slightly different measurements, but I've found the ones above to be the average (and feel great to me).
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Assuming you are talking about the 12th fret, I'd call that low but not ultra low. Most guys will play it at least that low unless they are really prone to digging. If their bass will do it. If your's is still buzzing, you need to keep working.

The reason the drop D is buzzing more is because the drop tuning lowers the string tension and allows it to move more freely.

As for the pick, it is probably just your technique. It's easy to dig in with a pick. Your attack angle will also make a difference.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its quite low. I wouldnt say most guys play this low. You'd be surprised.
  5. Yup.

I play a 33&1/2 scale dropped "D" tuning at times, and if I had my action that low with my DR Sunbeams, it'd be fretbuzz city when I dig in with a pick.....