1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, is this the Sadowsky tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gab124, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Hey all. For those of you with Sads, is this the Sadowsky tone?

I am not in an area where I can play one, and I always question recordings. I would like to know if this is the tone, there are no other unknowns here like effects etc, just Sad J bass into an eden and aguilar cab, (plus another unknown cab it looks like). To me that is nice and fat, punchy with articulate highs - and I like it :hyper:
    Thanks,

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Sounds pretty damn good to me!!!

Rob

3. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    So, you agree that is a good representation of what i could expect if I bought an RV4?
    It is nice...

4. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Looks like a Sadowsky, sounds fabulous..., I think that's it! Not it's only sound but a typically great tone!

:bassist:

5. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

One thing to consider is that bass might have single coils. All metros come with the HC set

Rob

6. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    i was wondering about that. could one get reasonably close to the SC sound with eq tweekin if needed?

7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    What dentist do in their spare time!

:bag:

8. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea, its not worlds different but its slightly different. Some people just like the pronounced mids of true single coils. They do hum when panned, especially hummy in rooms with bad electricity and neon lighting

Rob

9. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Yeah, I am not so keen on having hum coming out of my rig. I could just bump up on the amp I think. I really dig that tone a lot. Now, I just have to wait 5 months or so!!!

10. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Why do u have to wait?

Rob

11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I had a UV70 for awhile with single coils... the only way I could get them to hum was to stand right in front of my amp and crank the pan one way or the other... the bass was very nicely shielded.

12. Flizzy21

Flizzy21

May 13, 2007
    Is it just me, or is that tone painfully thin?

I feel like i could turn the contour all the way up on my amp and get that tone with my MIM jazz :(

13. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I need to get my finances in order, about 5 months would be enough time, and that is the wait from Sadowsky according to the web site. They seem to be about the same price new anywhere i look, and I have not found a used RV4 in white with VTC as of yet.

14. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Painfully thin? Maybe if u are playin in a raggee band

I see why the wait. You want a specific color and such. Cool. Keep ur eyes open in the classified section and ebay. Some good ones come up here and there

Rob

15. That bass definitely has single coils.

16. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    So, as mentioned above the hum is not too bad with SC? Would they be a problem in a recording situation direct, as a live setting is really not going to be an issue. I cannot afford too many basses, and I need one that can do it all (with a grain of salt there I know - maybe one that can do as much as possible)
    thanks,

17. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Singles are great. If you run them even, no pan, they are dead quiet. They arent that bad depending on the room and lighting when you pan. Not really noticeable when the band kicks in, anyways. I have 3 jj Sadowsky's and all have single coils. As far as recording, they will hum a bit when panned. Not a big deal but it all depends on what you can tolerate. Pickups are an easy thing to swap out. Id look for the bass you like and worry little about the pickups. Find the color and wood combo you are after. If you dont like the HC's that will prolly be in it(some guys swap) you can always order a set of singles from Sadowsky or Nordstrand, etc. PM me when you get closer to making a decision. Ive owned over 20 of these

Rob

18. Gab124

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Hey, thanks so much for the help and information. I am pretty dead interested in a Metro RV4 (fits my price range better than a NYC), white or black. Your right about the pickups, a pretty easy swap if need be.
    bright moments,

19. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I think this is the best example, and I the tone!

20. slareman

slareman

Nov 7, 2007
    There's always the "classic" Juraj Griglak bass solo that was posted for a time on the Sadowsky website (and mentioned lots in other threads). I like the tone better there than in either of the two YouTube clips posted above...