1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, is this the Sadowsky tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gab124, Mar 24, 2009.

1. I think I recall a post by Jaraj that the bass in this clip has the Hum Cancelling pickups. They sound great there although I have an ash/maple Metro with SC's and would never consider changing them. However, I think I'd go for the HC's on an alder/rosewood model.

2. If you want to have a laugh and hear a recorded Sadowsky tone check this out:

I've used my Sadowsky Metro Ultra Vintage 5 string, ash body and maple neck. It has single coils installed by the factory. Strings are Sadowsky SS but they were not new when this recording was made.

3. The OP clip sounds nice, but man, does that rig suck the mids out of that tone (assuming it is a 'live recording). That's the classic Aguilar GS tone to me... big low end, polite mids, and click up top. The first time the band kicks in, that upper treble will be buried, and you will have the classic 'boom with no definition' that I hear from SO many guys on gigs with just backline.

Sounds nice, but that to me is the classic definition of a beautiful 'at home' scooped tone that will be buried in most mixes (the 'thin' comment made above... plenty of deep low end, but very little meat). It says on the comments on Youtube that those are single coils. He really made them sound like HC's with that rig:smug:

Nice though, but IMO you really need to be careful with the voicing of a modern J Bass type tone to work at getting a good mid mid and upper mid presence to your tone, or it will sound like a PBass on the gig! IMO!

4. I'm pretty sure that he posted that those are Nordy single coils on that clip (I assume with the treble control goosed a bit, since the Nordy singles are a touch darker than the Sadowksy singles). THAT is a GREAT tone.. plenty of sparkle, but a beautiful mid voicing that will keep that tone intact when the band kicks back in. That's what I'm talkin' about!

5. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5486244#post5486244

This is where he mentions they are "humbuckers".

6. Interesting. He posted they were Nordy singles in another thread a while back. Whichever, that clip sounds great to me! Interestingly, that clip sounds too bright for the Nordy singles and too grindy and punchy for the HC's to me. I guess a lot is in the hands, as we always say!

7. I definitely agree Ken! That is a fantastic tone. I was surprised to hear they were "humbuckers". They sound like the Sadowsky SC's to me. To me, the perfect Sadowsky combo is Ash/Maple/SC's.

8. +1 When I heard that clip, I thought for sure they were the Sadowsky singles myself. Great stuff.

9. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    I agree, the Jaraj link is a much more usable tone for a band setting, with better mids than my OP link that is great for bedroom playing. I am obviously shooting for the live setting, and I do not want to sound like a p-bass – no big boomy I need mid and defined. Two comments that stick in my mind are; 1. the typical Aquilar GS sound; I use a GS112 and an Avatar B210. I have not had that much experience with different cabs, how much mid suck does the GS take? (I also hate clacky/clicky high end)
    Also, one comment that it was preferred to put SC in ash/maple and HC in Alder/RW. Is the later more mid rangy that is does not need the SC as badly?
    And finally, just how close to the Jaraj tone can I get (and I know the whole “it is in the fingers”) with RV4+HC into Thunderfunk – GS112+B210?

10. Sounds like a guy playing a nice Jazz bass to me............;)

11. Hey guys! This clip is Sadowsky humbuckers.Another clip ,Sadowsky duel is with Nordstrand singles . SC Nordstrand or Sadowsky are better,more articulation,full range tone ,more alive.

12. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Nice... Fat and defined.

13. Well there we have it! Thanks for the information and opinion Juraj......you're playing is incredible!

15. +1 I knew I heard Norstrands somewhere, but got confused on the particular clip!

16. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    That guy's playing makes it sound real buttery.