1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So it came...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Groove Theory, May 6, 2006.

1. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Woo Hoo, my DB from Norton Customs came yesterday! it's a Christopher 200 Busetto matte finish...I'm diggin' it. Now I gotta go find a good teacher....

Attached Files:

2. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    here's one more...I've also gotta say that Brent from Norton Customs is a great guy to deal with. very helpful, answering my many questions, and doing an incredible job on this bass...

Attached Files:

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the bass looks awesome!

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Wow-- an ebony bridge! :) (Yes, I'm kidding.)

Are those Dominants on there?

Looks good-- enjoy!

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    what did he actually do to the bass other than paint the bridge black?

6. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    why would you paint the bridge black?! if anything that's going to hinder sound performance. The british uncoated is the way it's supposed to be for maximum output.

Besides, I think it looks much more normal unfinished.

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Brent isn't ab out "normal". ;) His creations are all about being over-the-top. Have a look: www.nortoncustoms.com. I would say this is pretty tame for a Norton. Nice job, congrats on your new baby GT.

8. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Thanks guys, yes those are dominants, they sound pretty good, but there's others out there I wanna try out in the future....

as far as the bridge, its not "painted" but only stained, so there really isn't a "coat" of paint like substance or anything like that on it, so the alterations to sound on it would be minimal at most...and you're right, its not "normal" but neither am I, so it works well...I was also going to have the end of the fingerboard contoured as well, but didn't have the $$ to get a longer board to alter...on a future project perhaps...

9. Just checked out the Norton site. Sweet- & affordable. GrooveT, yours is very nice. *Ignorant question alert* So 'Busetto' refers to the shape, correct? :ninja:

10. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Thanks, and yup, you got it, Busetto is the shape, like Violin or Gamba...

11. So mine's Gamba, yes?

12. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    yup, it appears to be so, however you might have wanted to get a smaller size bass, unless you're planning to grow into that one :rollno: ...j/k :D

13. ...so, a 3/4-sized bass isn't for 3 or 4-year-olds? :D

14. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Staining a bridge black isn't going to affect sound performance at all. Many pro luthiers apply a thin coat of oil or shellac to bridges... violin, viola, cello, and bass. A black bridge is purely a matter of taste.

Great pictures!

15. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Beautiful finish job....

Give the Dominants time. They're pretty good to begin with, but their sound gets dramatically better with about a month of playing.

16. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just stunning work on the finish - I guess there's more to Brent than flashy paint jobs after all :D :D

+1 on the Dominants too :D

Andy

17. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    yeah, the matte finish is smooth...I'll definantly keep the dominants for a while and really experience their sound, right now I'm really into arco playing in jazz and blues type settings, so I'm glad the dominants are pretty good all-around strings for pizz and arco.

18. It's beautiful.

19. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I like the finish too - Too bad it's not mine! That bass is a stock-finished Christopher that we added a few personal touches to in addition to its setup work, such as the Pecanic tailpiece, carbon fiber endpin, black bridge, etc..

Glad you're digging it, Groove. :)

20. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Looks great.

I've always liked busettos, and the black trim looks hot!