1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, it turns out I need an Engagement ring....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ElBajista, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    For anyone who doesn't already know, I'm getting engaged! Technically my fiance and I are already engaged, it's just we have yet to make it official and I have yet to get a ring. No big deal, right?:smug:

I'm posting this here not only as an announcement, but for advice. I know nothing about jewelry or stones, especially when it comes to diamonds, what is "good" and what isn't, and the like. I figured someone on here must know what they're talking about! :D

• I hope to keep a budget of $600 or less, since I'm between jobs right now and we need to save money for our wedding in six months (7-7-07!), and the marriage to follow.

• We both really like the look of Celtic style rings, especially the famous Claddagh design. Anything with a celtic knot or design and clear stones is great in my book!* *(Read: It's been not-so-subtly hinted to look for rings of said appearance. ;)) It doesn't have to be Celtic, though.

• Also, We both prefer the look of Silver or White Gold. No Yellow Gold for us, thanks! :D

I've found some beautiful rings, but I have no idea which to pick! I want keep the actual ring I pick a surprise from my Fiance, so unfortunately I have no other source for what the Feminine Mindtm finds beautiful.

Anyone have any links to reliable, trustworthy, and affordable jewelry stores? Any tips for ring shopping?

Thanks! :D

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    $600 on an engagement ring? Hmm...I do not know if that'll be enough for something with diamonds.

3. remember: every kiss begins with kay. But, if you go to jared, it is all anyone can talk about for the next several minutes

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I won't even pretend to know about diamonds and jewelry, but congratulations!

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I spent around 1k on mine (ours) and that was small change compared to what others do. I would suggest finding a band that you like and then finding a diamond to fit in it, that way you can find a diamond that isn't so expensive.

Her band had a ruby in it, and I had them take it out. Later when I could afford it I found a diamond that worked. And she loves it.

6. +1 :D

7. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That's the situation I've run into. :meh:

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Thanks! :D

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I read somewhere that the average Engagement ring is $5000! :eek: I know a guy who's been married for about 2-3 years and he's still paying off the engagement ring, not to mention their wedding rings!

If I was to buy a band without a diamond, wouldn't it look kind of weird? There would be the cradle, but no stone. I've never heard of anyone doing this...

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    He's saying buy a band wirth a cheaper rock in it. Then when you get the $ change the rock for a diamond or something nicer.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I think your best bet is to just take that $600, fly to Africa, and steal a giant rock from the mines, then cut and polish it yourself.

How hard could that be?

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You haven't seen Blood Diamond....it could cost him his life!

:bag:

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I paid $350 for a nice .2 carat that looks a lot bigger than it is. She likes it for its looks, the compliments she gets, and the deal I got.

15. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    It would look weird until you put a diamond in it. That way you can save a little more if needed to put a diamond in it (don't give it to her until its all together). I generally found complete band and diamond packages to be more expensive than parting it out seperatly.
    If you want you can even put a cubic zirconian in it, I wouldn't recomend it, but you can do it. This way you can even gauge what quality of diamond you want in it as well. And it'll be more unique to boot. I purchased the band here http://www.therealmothergoose.com/ and the diamond som place else (cheaper).

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    The only time I would ever give someone a diamond ring is if I had fused the souls of one thousand warriors into it. That way at least she would have some protection.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Carat weight, cut, color, clarity.

The cut affects how the stone refracts light, and how much fire you see. Too flat a stone will limit how much light comes out of the top.

The best color is "D" color, colorless. Anything down to "F" is considered colorless. I have seen some "G" and "H" stones that still looked pretty good. Beyound that, the brown or yellow hue is quite evident.

Clarity is a measure of how many imperfections are in the stone and how visible they are. The best is flawless, then grades like VS, S, SI etc.

You can find pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about diamond grading here.

18. hawaiianbass

hawaiianbass

Jul 23, 2006
    Laramie, Wyo
    The stone doesn't have to be a diamond. The ring I got for my fiance has a Montana sapphire that looks like a blue diamond in a silver band. The ring was completly custom made and only cost $160.

CK

19. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    just get her one of those $9 Wal-Mart rings... :D

20. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Congrats!
    Make sure that the diamond(s) you buy are "Conflict-Free"!!

YES, I SAW BLOOD DIAMOND!