Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So it's decision time!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Techmonkey, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well I've ordered my wenge neck and fretboard blanks from Larry, the 5 string bridge is on the way in the post and I'm waiting for my mum to come back from Cambridge with the password to the paypal account before I order the Kent Armstrong soapbars :smug:

I want this bass to be pretty growly, but also able to create a smooth tone. I'd like to be able to play Mudvayne style basslines, yet still have that warm punch that you get in gospel songs. So what would should I use for the body? I asked about bubinga before, solid bubinga would probably be too heavy and I can't afford just a top and a swamp ash body... I'm waiting for a call back from the company any day now about the body blank I want...

So should I go for an african walnut body, or solid bubinga and put larger contours on it? I'd like to oil it and leave it natural, looking for a colour that would look good with dark neck, dark fretboard and gold hardware.

Thanks muchos for your time,
    Tech

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    mmmmmmmmmm bubinga.

you want growl, barts or EMGs.

3. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Put me down as another vote for Barts and bubinga.

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Bubinga it is then! Thanks for the help people!