so i've been living a lie.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jonas., Jun 18, 2005.

1. Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    ok, so i've been playing bass for about 8 months, and i always thought slap was my favourite aspect on it, so i wanted to have my next bass as suited for slap as possible.

HOWEVER, i've been living a lie, after seeing this i was blown away. i was wondering if i could do that on a 4 string, or do i need a 6 string (he seems to utilise the extra high string a lot) to play this, and similar masterpieces?

AND the main question i wanted to ask, what videos on the internet, or other sources, made you step back and think about your playing the most?
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you can play it on a four, I do.

You will need a lot of position shift but you can make it sound good on a four.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've always liked John's fingerstyle take on that better than the million tapped versions I've heard.

But anyway, back on topic... this may sound kinda goofy and odd, but one thing that made me really evaluate my playing was after watching a Genesis documentary (bear with me!) In it, there was a little segment focussing on Phil Collins' solo career, and there was one part where Phil's band was warming up offstage or somewhere. Lee Sklar was the bassist, and there was a scene of him just warming up a little, really just moving his fingers if I recall correctly, and he had one of the most amazing tones I'd ever heard. And he wasn't even really trying! That really made an impact on me for some reason.
  4. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    When I read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about something completely different.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    With out a doubt it was my first impression of Bill Dickens that made me go to the woodshed for hours!!! I bought a video of him, and he started doing machine gun slapping (mind you this was in the mid eighties and few people were slapping like that)

After that, an mp3 of Juan new favorite bassist, that was posted in TB about 6-7 weeks ago has had the same affect on me.
  6. Yeah I have to say after reading the title I am disapointed :(
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I was expecting an outing of Ben Strange or NTB's new user ID's.
  8. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    thats a cool work, i recently performed it on DB. you need a 24 fret 4 string bg though. I don't have one, sadly.
  9. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Now thats got to be challenging.
  10. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I hear where you're coming from. I've never bothered learning other people's music or solos. That takes away from the enjoyment, for me. Technicality is cool and everything, but that's secondary to making moving lines.
  11. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's pretty hard. There are some weird places where you need to use your thumb in unusual ways and some hard shifts. the hardest part is bowing 8 notes to bow and keeping it even.
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Wow...that reminded me that I need to break that book back out and work that stuff back up!!! I used to play it, albeit an octave lower, on fretless 6. However, if you play it in the register JP did, it's very playable even on a 4. You may need to rearrange some of the notes for the octave they're in though.

It's a GREAT exercise, works your hands out very well, and is a beautiful piece of music on top of it! Definitely try to get it happening man! :)
  13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Can I offer a suggestion? Well I will anyway! :D You said you've been playing bass for 8 months, first go out and learn some James Jamerson, some Will Lee and some Chuck Rainy. The Standing in the shadows of Motown book would be a great place to start. John Pattituchi is a GREAT player and there's nothing wrong with pursuing the quality of a Bach piece on the side. But if you ever try out for a band they are going to be far more interested in how you "lock in" with the bass drum.