1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so i've been wondering...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jluckie3, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Jluckie3

Jluckie3

Mar 14, 2008
    endorsing artist Lakland basses
    other than to make your fender look cool, was there any actual practical purpose for the fender ashtrays and pickup covers? i mean they limit the right hand placement options at your disposal and make things like palm muting far more difficult. do they affect the tone? (think about it, an extra piece of metal in the field of a magnetic pickup is going to affect the way the string vibrates) any help?

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think the original porpuse was for electric shielding.....or thats what I have heard.
    Some of the old fndrs had string mutes installed from the factory underneath the bridge ashtray.

danman

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    You got to promise me you won't tell any one if I let you in on why they're there...OK. Alright, sometimes when you are thinking about something while playing a bass, your thoughts can be transmitted through the pups or bridge and picked up by a secret government satellite that was built in the mid 1960s with help from the illuminate, the Catholic church and aliens from the planet Virgo.

Many people have tried to find answerers, but no one knows exactly why this abomination of an alliance wants to know what bassists are thinking. Its believed to have something to do with mind control and the increasing popularity of liquid body wash shower soap...but that's all just speculation at this point.

Anyway, ashtrays and pup covers are there to block this signal and work in much the same way as a tinfoil hat.

Hope that helped clear it up for you. And remember...trust no one.

4. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    on the new ones i think they do nout but on the first ones they had a foam in them or muteing crap to aid the sound? i am not a fan of them! think they look silly but each to there own, i know some ppl love them

5. originally for shielding and muting, now mainly for looks and muting if you wish. this just came up last week or so.

6. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    ... and the week before that... and the week before that... :)

But yes, the answer is as Johnny Mack states. In addition, there were cosmetic considerations (they look nice).

I can play with them on a P, but on a Jazz it's too cramped (IMO).

7. Jluckie3

Jluckie3

Mar 14, 2008
    endorsing artist Lakland basses
    by god thats it!! thank you!

we'll be coming for you shortly

8. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    :ninja: