So, I've bought and SWR Big Ben

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So I sold my HD212 to afford a PA, and now I'm in a band with two half-stacks, and the single 410XLT just isn't cutting it. A bit of surprise money later, and whammo, I have enough to spring for...

An SWR Big Ben (1x18). I've GASed for one for years (Since 06-15-01, actually), and now the situation came up that I needed one, one was available in my price range, so I snagged it.

I keep trying to downsize, but it just never happens :D

I'm picking it up tommorrow, just in time to take it to band practice and really kick out some jams.

Should be fun. :)

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Cool man. Tell us how it sounds with the rig!
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Cool... Every Ben I've played through has sounded great to my ears!!!!

The heck with downsizing:D
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, it's a very kick ass cab, that's for sure. Hearty and beefy, and doesn't jump like hell when I slap that A (b string down a step), and has a very surprising amount of high-end.

Definitely a keeper. Pant flapper in the extreme.

Highlight of a bad day, as was talking with Zak about music.
  5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Are you using the Big Ben all by itself? What is your band's choice of music, and how loud is your overall stage volume. I just picked up a big ben, and haven't had the time to play it yet. I am particularly interested in it's mix with your band. I don't mind hauling anything around as long as I am happy with it. It it holds it's own, I won't need my 2x10 GK cab. I generally just lay down the bottom end/root note anyhow.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, as luck would have, it, haven't had the chance to crank it up in a band situation (part of the aformentioned bad day), but that was by itself. I'm going to make an attempt to use it in conjuction with my Eden 410XLT when the oppertunity presents itself.

My stage volume is usually "Damn, the bass is loud!" and an equal part of any mix, regardless of number of musicians on stage (part of the reason for a bigger rig).

Sorry if that's not much help, but I just got shafted out of the reason I bought it, so it'll be a bit before I can really test it (stupid appartment)...