Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I've completely converted to Rickenbackers...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acacia, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I bought a 1980 4001 last year and loved it. Today I got in a 1980 4003 and it's wonderful. Tomorrow I ship out my 1999 Fender Jazz MIA. That Jazz was my first real bass when I started playing in 2000, but since I started playing the Ric, I'm not comfy on the Jazz anymore. So I sold it.

Here are a few pics of the new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks nice, are you only a fan of ~1980 ones or do you like the new ones too?

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Personally, I think the new ones are ugly. That big headstock looks horrible and I think the pickguard and everything on the body look cheap. The new ones do play well though!

Having 2 1980s is really just a coincidence, but I do prefer the pre-89 Rics. I may just stick with the 80s, become an afficianado of sorts! haha

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I notice that the bridge has those two extra screws at the tail end of it. While those came standard for a couple of years or so, I had to end up adding those two myself to my '92 4003 because the end of the bridge was pulling up. :scowl:

And, re: the headstock, etc. It's weird, you're not the only one who has a preference for certain headstocks. Or maybe I'm weird, because I never really noticed the difference until the folks over at the Rickenbacker Forum had a thread or two pointing out the differences the 400x models have gone through over the years.

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    it was the first thing i noticed on the newer ones when i first started seeing them in the stores.

6. RobBass

RobBass

Mar 11, 2005
    Berks county, Pa
    I never noticed the headstock before, but I did notice the "popping" from the pickup knob hasn't changed at all! :bassist:

7. Rickenbackers always turn me on....

*takes a cold shower*

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I had my '81 Ric 4003 worked on recently by a highly skilled luthier and it's like I've fallen in love all over again. What a tone, what a feel, what a bass!!! It was my first bass, and I'm NEVER selling it. :D

The jetglo finish is just too classy.

9. Rockenbackers are one of the sexiest basses in business, imho.

What really bugs me though, is that the strings aren't going to the tuners in a straight line, but in an angle, that is imho the most hideous thing .

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk i actually agree on that, hmm