1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I've Decided to change these Jazz P'Ups in my Fender MIM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fair Warning, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I got my MIM Fender Jazz looking quite the way I want it. Open grain Ash, stained, and tung oil finish. But this thing sounds thinner than my other basses. I got a new gig coming up where I need clear deep thunder. Punch and clarity.

As I can see, I can go on forever looking at the existing thousands of stings of data regarding the Jazz swap out. So what is the hot ticket?

2. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I can absolutely recomend Seymour Duncan SJB3 Quarter Pounders. I bought a used Jazz with the QP's in it (I don't think I would have bought them on my own) and WOW!!!!!
    Seriously, wow. If you need 'thunder' and 'punch' those are the ticket. They are hot in output also. They don't have Geddy Lee signature bass biting clarity but they get there.

My QP's are in a 60's body (60's position), maple neck with a Badass bridge. IMO, can't get any better for punch and thunder. They are VERY affordable also.

Another good choice are Nordstrand NJ4's. More $ but great sound.

3. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Nov 21, 2008
    Kansas City
    Or you could consider a drop in pre for similar $. Might entail a little easier surgery