Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I've got a bit of a serious problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Indi86, Apr 21, 2005.

1. About 2 weeks ago I finally sold my newly set up Fender Am. Deluxe V on the bay. No problems evident whatsoever, and I get a real solid price for it. It took about a week for the bass to get to Mississippi, and the guy said he got it, it plays great, but he wanted to bring it to a shop to have it checked out. So be it.

Now he's claiming the tech there said there was a hump between the 12th and the 15th fret on the bass and that he wants a refund. I've asked for pictures, and neither of us want this to end badly. So what's the proper course of action, chance of the neck actually being warped given that its spent most of the time in the case, and was recently re-setup and the tech made NO mention of there being warpage?

I'm 99% confident that there was NOTHING wrong with this bass when I sent it out. But I have a low feedback ebay account, and a negative from fighting this could completely destroy my account.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    If there was nothing wrong with the bass when it was sent out, then...*shrug* Whatever. That's the risk of buying online. Mississippi is fairly hot and humid in comparison to NY, correct? If he just ripped open the box and case as soon as he got it, then the bass might not be acclimated to Mississippi's weather, and it could've DEVELOPED a hump because of that.

3. Simple. Tell him "return the bass, I'll refund the money when I get the bass." Also politely say that "the fretboard was flat when it was shipped"

No bass, no refund....you DO have his money, don't you?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm always leery of people who have buyers remorse, but concoct BS reasons to return the item. If its legitimate, I'll definitely return the $$$ upon return of the item.

Were it me, I'd tell him in the NICEST, friendliest terms possible that I'd be happy to refund upon return if he can send you clear pics of the problem, and tell him you'll have your tech look at them to verify. If its a valid complaint, that won't be a problem, and you can accept return and refund the $$$. If he gives you any excuses like "I don't have a camera", then you politely tell him sorry, if I can't verify the existence of a problem it didn't have before, I can't accept return." That's just how I would handle it for myself.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Anal lube aside, that's exactly what I'd do.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Even if it's there, and it wasn't when you shipped it, it's not your fault. If he didn't wait for the wood to acclimate, then it's his fault.

Even so, he could get a new fb from gallery hardwoods, custom fretwire from warmoth, and get that sucka fretted and glued on. Shouldn't be TOO costly. If, of course, the problem is actually there.

7. I've done over 100 eBay transactions, both buying and selling with 100% positive feedback.

This is a PERFECT way to handle it. :D

Unfortunately there are buyers out there who do this as a scam. Trying to get a partial refund, or a full refund before they "ship the item back to you", they get their money back and keep the item. :scowl:

I'll bet if you tell him the above you never hear from him again. Of course he may leave you a neg just to be a jerk, but so what? You can respond to it with your side of the story. :cool:

..........Jim

8. He said he's out of town and trying to get pics, and that he's going to get a second opinion. The reason I sold was to buy my amp, because my old one's fan died and I was looking to upgrade anyways- I sold the amp to a local shop minus the cost of the repair and bought my Aggie. General consensus with some local musicians/ repair people is that it smells scammish.

Edit: If it's possible that the weather did it, do I just take the heat?

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I know it's a pain, but if he's willing to pay to have it returned to you, then maybe you can take it back? I really wouldn't do it without SOLID proof myself though. I'm going to go with the crowd that says as long as you're sure it was fine when it left, then it's out of your hands. You might also want to look into the possibility of a shipping mishap (you did have it insured, right?), but I doubt that would go anywhere in this case.

Ray

10. Yeah I insured this puppy. If he can actually prove a hump, I'll give him the partial refund, because this bass sold for well over its likely market value anyways. If he can't, however, I'll just suck it up, take the negative feedback that's likely to come my way and sell some small stuff on ebay to bring my ratings up.

11. Well............. If he does get a second opinion, that agrees with the first, have him give you the name of the shops and techs that diagnosed the problem. Get the phone numbers on your own and call 'em up to see if they are legit.

If there really is a problem, after you confirm it, and the possible price for the repair, see if maybe you can negotiate a refund based on the cost of repairs.

.......... .02 more......Jim

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    this may be a deviant suggestion but... if things go wrong and you get negative feedback switch your isp and then start a new ebay account??

I dont know if that would work, just a thought.

13. Yes, it works people do it frequently, but it is considered EXTEMELY unethical (lieing) :scowl:

How would you like to buy something from someone who has changed their account info to hide negative feedback?

Also if you are caught doing it (which may never happen) your account could be suspended. :meh:

............Jim

14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    i am thinking it wouldnt work anyway. ebay must verify your identity thru your credit card. so once they know your id and see that you already have an account w/ a different isp your busted.

15. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    no... im 18 (and only have been for a month), have no credit cards and i have an ebay account and have had one for about 4 years... all i had to give was my email address...

16. As far as I know to get a seller's account one has to have a credit card... At least that's what they made me do.

17. That...... or link to a bank account, or use a debit card, they WILL collect their fees :eek: , and remember they have an interest in PayPal too.

The bottom line is that they can investigate and find out anything they want to. But eBay has become such a behemoth that they rarely have time to investigate anything. However if you spend some time reading their forums, especially "Feedback" and "Trust and Safety" you will see that there are plenty of people willing to spend their own time looking for improper activity.

................Jim

18. I got pics from him tonight. I'm pretty unsure of what they actually show.

Attached Files:

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    :eyebrow: huh? (to the pics, not you Indi)

Ray

20. I cant make up my mind whether that's a hump or if it's just the concavity of the neck. Noob badge for me.