Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I've just started reading...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    ... A Brief History of Space and Time by Steven Hawking. Some of it is a little hard to grasp especially with only a GCSE level physics - but its super interesting.

Its set me off thinking about things in 4 dimensions, and space and time as a curved sheet, gravity bending light, and the mass of planets 'bending' what we think of as space, and also bening time.

Its very dense, textually, but if you spend your time its very interesting. Ive spent about 4 hours reading the first 40 sides. If you have any interest in meta-physics, quantum-physics or time and the universe and how our perception of them is affected, then give this book a read.

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I read it a few years back, along with a few of his other books. Brief History is good and fairly easy-going, but I wouldn't bother with the rest. He gets pretty repetitive and mentions that he was born exactly 300 years after Galileo's death a few times too many.

3. That's strange because Newton was born the same year Galileo died. Not sure if it was the same month or day though.

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Oh, Hawking finds ways to compare himself to Newton too...

5. Yeah I read it too...... about '94 IIRC. The concepts were'nt really groundbreaking, and Hawking is a bit too egocentric to be entertaining...... but otherwise it was OK :D

........Jim

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I like Captain Kirk better than Captain Picard.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Dude...Picard could kick Kirk's ass. Kirk was all fat and worried more about nailing green bitches than being badass.

8. I like Steve better than Jefferson...

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Cmdr Cisco was a moe too.

10. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

But Captain Kirk had that badass karate chop to the neck. I've seen him take down giants with that sucker.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ya..but if he tried that crap, Worf would knock his ass out before he got near Picard.

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    [​IMG]

13. It's funny...everyone thinks that Steven Hawking is the smartest man in the world, but apart from writing that book I couldn't tell you what else (if anything) he has actually used his intelligence for.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I don't know about you, but he's got me pipped.

PS - J T Kirk kicks butt! :D

15. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I liked The Universe in a Nutshell more than A Brief History. I have very limited knowledge in the way of physics though, I'm a physiology man. Nutshell was easier to understand for a layman like me, but at the cost of detail and complex expalantions, which is probably why I enjoyed it more.

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    he is a theoretical physicist who deals mainly with astrophysics problems, especially applying quantum physics to such.

he postulated that black holes emit radiation. and he has ideas about information conservation in black holes (he recently revoked his previous stance on the destruction of information).

i honestly don't know much about the body of his work, but already physics students toss about the term "hawking radiation" quite liberally.

i tried to read one of his books (not a brief history...), but i found it kinda boring. i don't really like astrophysics, myself.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Read "Hyperspace" by Michael...something. And also "Black Holes and Time Warp".

Ray

18. Good for you, I knew you'd learn someday :)

19. Hyperspace is an excellent book on theoritcal physics. I should go back and read it again.

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, it took me two reads to get most of it. I think I'll go back and re-re-read it just to see if I catch more now.

Ray