1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, Jazz Fusion = Funky Jazz?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by froglips, Mar 13, 2009.

1. froglips

froglips

Feb 9, 2009
    Arizona
    Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, and stuff like that?

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    No.

Not to day they aren't jazz fusion, that's debatable, but few people will agree that jazz fusion is just funky jazz. Listen to some Steve Morse and you'll understand that there is more than one flavor of jazz fusion, just like with metal and rock.

3. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I'd agree with SpamBot. Some of Herbie's stuff (Headhunters, Dis Is Da Drum) could be considered funky. But jazz fusion, to me, is artists like Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Miles Davis, Al DiMeola, Dixie Dregs even, and I wouldn't call them funky. With some exceptions of course.

4. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    To add to what I said, this is tantamount to saying that all metal music is screaming, down-tuned guitars and 32nd note double bass. True in many instances, but inaccurate as a blanket statement.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Funky Jazz (1950s/1960s) was earlier than Jazz Fusion (1960s/`970s).

Funky Jazz was a sub-genre of Hard Bop.
    Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder", Joe Zawinul's "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy", Horace Silver, etc.
    Later, stuff "Mister Magic" by like Grover Washington, Jr or Herbie Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island", "Watermelon Man", etc.

Jazz Fusion has its sub-genres, too (as mentioned above).
    Miles Davis' Bitches Brew sounds nothing like The Dixie Dregs, for example.

6. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    brings back memories of my mis-spent youth! :cool:

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not bad considering mine-
    The Monkees, The Partridge Family, etc.
    ;)

8. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Here are some examples:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

9. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I've always been of the apparently incorrect assumption that Jazz Fusion was any Jazz that included heavy elements of an unrelated genre... ie: Jazz+Latin, Jazz+Funk, Jazz+Rock, etc.

Thus the reason such varied groups are all considered jazz fusion.

10. Jazz Fusion can be funky, depending on what is "fused" with jazz. Brecker Bros. are funky and often labeled as fusion.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Right...there's "fusion" and there's "Fusion".
    ;)

Back in the day, however, I don't recall The Breckers Brothers Band being labeled as "Fusion".
    Nowadaze...I guess genres/labels get re-worked. As if it matters-
    If the genre's Home Page is Jazz Fusion...there will be sub-genres. No big deal for me.

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The three giant bands of 70s jazz fusion were Weather Report, the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever. All were very different to each other, so it's pretty hard to tie the term "fusion" down to a single sort of style.

Those are three of my favourite bands, by the way. I also really like British jazz rock of the 70s and 80s - bands like Colosseum II, Brand X and Bruford. I suppose you could call those fusion as well, and even funky on occasion.

13. MMmmmmmm, that's some good stuff. Jean Luc Ponty also had some killer stuff! This is probably my favorite genre, although I let my definition get pretty broad sometimes.

I was fortunate enough to see RTF last summer.....about a week before my band broke up. :(