Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So Jimi Hendrix played bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by de la mocha, Feb 25, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    That's what my guitar teacher said during my first lesson last monday (i'm broadening my horizons and bought a MIM Strat).

Can this be confirmed? And also, what brand of bass was being played on voodoo child (slight return), sounds like a P Bass....

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Jimi's Playing on the Cover Of "All Allong the Watchtower" on Electric Ladyland

Aj

3. chubchub

chubchub

Feb 25, 2006
    orkney
    On the origional recording of voodoo child Noel Reading played bass and he used a jazz bass. After the breakup of the experience, Billy Cox who played in both gypsy sun and rainbow and a band of gypsies replaced Noel. He played either a precision bass or a jazz bass.

4. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    I could be wrong but I thought Jimi also used a Hangstrom * string Bass at some point.

5. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    You're right. It was played on "Spanish Castle Magic", "Little Miss Lover" and "You Got Me Floatin'" from Axis: Bold As Love. Both Redding and Hendrix played the Hagström 8-string.

6. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    Jimi wrote all of Noel's bass lines for him and played on most of the songs. Maybe not all, but pretty much all of em.

7. In the original band he was in he played the bass part on an electirc guitar because he didn't have enough money for a real bass. He stuck with guitar later on but he did write the bass lines for most of his songs I think (I think).

8. Laguna J.

Laguna J.

Dec 10, 2002
    Liverpool, UK
  9. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Jack played on the version one of Voodoo Chile (the slow blues) which also has Stevie Winwood playing organ.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Fact be known, Jimi was a much better bass player than Noel.

11. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I thought jimi just let noel do w/e he wanted unless he wanted something in unison?

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    All those damn guitar players think they can play bass! Just kidding. Actually, before he got with Hendrix, Noel Redding was a guitar player too. I recently read a great book on Hendrix, I would recommend it to all. "Jimi Hendrix The Man - The Magic - The Truth" by Sharon Lawrence. My son gave it to me for Christmas. An excellent read. Ms. Lawrence knew Hendrix from very early on, and was not a groupie, but a real friend and confidante. She's got the truth about his death and who could have saved him, but didn't. The last half of the book is about the legal entanglements and court cases that are still going on today, in 2006. What a mess he left! Check this book out, very informative.

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    And while we're on Hendrix; I'm sure some of us care about how our gear looks, we take good care of our equipment, we get pissed off when the tolex gets torn at a gig, etc. The 2 rattiest looking Marshall stacks I have EVER seen in my life belonged to Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen.

Skel

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Jimi played bass for Timothy Leary (seriously).

15. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Hendrix indeed played bass , and on the album Electric Ladyland he played bass on the songs;
    Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)
    Long Hot Summer Night
    Gypsy Eyes
    1983... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
    Moon, Turn The Tides...Gently Gently Away
    House Burning Down
    All Along The Watchtower"
    In jam sessions he woudl often play bass . I have photos of him playing a Pbass in a jam. He owned a Pbass and afew Rics. I was wondering if anyone coudl tell what basses he used on Electric Ladyland . I knwo he used his Ric on a few songs and he used Noel's Jazz on All Along the Watchtower. I also have a pic of hendrix jamming with Leslie West from Mountain. Hendrix is playing Felix Papalardi's Gibson violin basss.

16. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    I think most guitarist can play bass.

17. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    :bag:

18. Didn't Tommy Shannon say Jimi played his bass?

19. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Can we see some pics?

20. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    Jimi wasn't a guitar player. He was an antenna. A very high frequency receiver. It really is beyond what was in his hands. 100,000 strat players will tell you that.