Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, just to keep you all up to date on the progress...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cerb, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Yes, it does seem like this project is taking a mighty long time... about a year in the running it seems. Though, I just recently got a few vital tools that have furthered the progress of it tremendously.
    Of course, I'm sure that none of you want to read any more of what I have to say, so I'll let the pictures do the talking. :cool:

Clicky!

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Looking great! even with the the hep cat;)

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nice!
    Better luck with this neck!

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    This neck was carved out of a nice, near quartersawn piece that has stayed perfectly flat since I glued up the first neck. I don't foresee it going crazy like the others, but I suppose we will see.

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Neat idea for the inlay. What is it, exactly? Is it a snail shell out of metal? What kind of significance does it have?

How is it shaping wenge? I've never worked with the stuff yet.

Looks like it shouldn't be long now!

6. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    It's actually an ammonite fossil. They were, at one point, sea crustaceans. The significance is a little far fetched, but I enjoy making wild connections between things. The name of this project is Concordis, or harmonious (also translated as beautiful occasionally) in Latin. The spiral of the ammonite relates very closely to the Golden Ratio in the way it is proportioned. Being as the Golden Ratio, when applied to structure, is considered very pleasing to the eye, or beautiful, it directly relates to the basses given name. I told you it was wild, but that's just how I think sometimes :p.

The wenge gave me no problem at all. This is coming from a youngin' who's never once worked with wood before building this bass. I'm sure that you will have no problem with it if you ever decide to use it.

Hopefully you are correct about it not being long now. The only thing that is going to hold me back is the buying of the electronics and tuners. That looks like it will set me back another $340.

I, myself, cannot wait until it is done. This will end up being the most time consuming, expensive project I've ever taken on. The thing I enjoy the most is being able to include things that I look for in a bass. The best example I can think of is the fact that I made the neck big enough to hit a home-run with. This is by far the chunkiest neck that I've ever seen on an electric instrument, and I absolutely love it. The fingerboard is 3/8" and the neck blank started at 3/4". Very, and I mean a very small ammount of the thickness was taken off of the neck. So, basically, I'm thrilled :D.

7. Looks great. Cool idea for the inlay... very cool.

8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I dig the inlay! And the symbology behind it is what makes it so cool. Thanks for explaining.

9. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Looks awesome. I can't wait to see one of your fossil inlays in a finished state. They're gonna be sweet.

-Nate

10. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    The inlay and the headstock are, more than likely, going to be my favorite things in the finished product. Though it's a very slight change from some other modified Fender headstocks, I absolutely love the shape. It's a modification of a modification if you will.

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    More neck and fingerboard progress. It isn't much, but it's still something :).

12. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    love that body design man.

13. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Lots of progress has been made over the past 2 weeks: Body glued to neck, neck heel shaped, pickup cavities, battery box cavity, fingerboard radiused, inlaid straplocks, carbon fiber epoxied into neck, upper and lower bouts fully shaped. Go check out the pictures.

14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  15. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Coming along great!! Don't you just love it when you get a lot of work done?

16. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    cool beans, Cerb - looking really good!

all the best,

R

17. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    That's looking VERY nice!!
    How old are you again?

Jon

18. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Just a little over 16. I started when I was just a little over 15. The bass has taken quite a while to actually start looking like a bass, but at this point it is coming together very quickly, and I'm very pleased with it as a whole.

19. you are my insperation for life....

Im 18 and havent gotten off the ground:crying:

edit: 17 sorry, i forgot

what kind of shop do you work with? do you use alot of powertools other than just a router?

I really would like to just see a setup or a tutorial.. even though this is kinda what this is... i just dont know how your doing everything...

but, this is an extremely awesome bass...