Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So last night my GK 1001rbII turned into an 18lb. paperweight and now Im pissed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Jan 27, 2005.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Last night I hook everything up just like I normaly do, hit power then I hear POP and it was dead. I imagine it is a fuse. Why can't they be located on the back of the amp? Thank goodness its still under warrenty but now i have to wait FOUR OR FIVE WEEKS till the service center here can even look at it. The guy I talked to at GK was really cool about it and I still love thier products and company but this just sucks really bad.

AHHHHH, anyone else out there feel my pain on this one?

-Jason

p.s. This is in no way ment to bash GK, I really love thier stuff and have posted about how much im into it in countless threads. I just felt it was only fair that I put this up as well.

2. Kheos

Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    Belgium
    dude, I got a hartke vx3500 with a blown speaker, got a replacement trace elliot for about a monthe and a halve. the hartke works fine for about 2 weeks, starts to mumble before an concert and blows out during. we actually had to stop, cause it's part of a song where everyone stops and I continue the song. but when a band stops and noting else happens(I played, but there was no sound), then the audience thinks it's the end of a song, so they started applauding. so re-entered the hartke, got a replacement genesis or something(don't remember) had to play on our most important gig ever with an amp I received, let's say 3 hours(and I was sick as hell). had to wait another few weeks, and then I got a completely new hartke

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I'm not a G-K tech or engineer, but I can tell you why many companies don't want to put a fuse socket on the back of an amp. Someone "imagines" that it's just the fuse, blowing for no reason, and that a bigger value fuse will somehow fix the problem. :eyebrow: Then, a lot of smoke gets let out, and the problem becomes a lot bigger. Sometimes the situation that caused the fuse to blow rights itself, but it's not all that common. Around here, near a lot of hydropower dams, we get pretty nasty power overvoltages, and that could do it. At best, you buy some more time to get through the gig, and hope that you don't torch your speakers playing with a defective amp.

Not a swipe at you, just an observation based on 30 years of fixing amps. :cool:

Best of luck. I do prefer an easily accessible fuse myself, but there are often resistors used internally as fuses, and stuff like that anyway, so it easily might not help.

4. "Kheos" what do you think of the "vx 3500" Just curios cause I've been looking at them myself. Small gigs only ?

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had a 2000RB that took a dump just like yours, and the 4 to 5 week repair took about 6 months, and it still never worked right when returned. I hope you have better luck.

And on the fuse issue, when dealing with a pro-level piece of gear, I think we deserve and external, accessible fuse. This isn't "bedroom" level gear we're talking about. Stuff needs to be serviceable on the road.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Dang, I have a new 1001rb-2 about 3 weeks now. Hope nothing like that happens to me! Sorry to hear about that!

7. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Yep, my purchased new in September 2004 GK 1001RBII is in the shop for warranty repair too. First, the blue "ready" light stopped working, then the second speakon output stopped working. The other speakon still worked and so did both 1/4" outs. The amp worked perfectly well one day, didn't work correctly the next. It was sitting in my living room.

I took it to the authorixed repair center 12/27/04. As of today its still not fixed.

8. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    My Gk1001 RB1, purchased new, just stopped working at a gig once. It was never roughed up and since out of warranty took it to my local repair shop. He kept it about 2 weeks and when I picked it up he said he could not find what was wrong with it but that it was working. Big ups to GK though cause the repair guy needed the schematics and GK emailed them to me. Anyway the amp did work for awhile but shut down again. I let it sit at home for awhile and I bought a new SWR 750x. First nite out the 750x stopped working in mid gig. The main tube was good so I parked it and went home to get my old PV Mark VII. Next day at store the salesman finds that a 2nd fuse for the speakers had blown in th e750x. I really did not like the sound I got from the 750x while it lasted the nite before, not enough bottom end for me, so he told me to try out a new Ashdown Evo 500 r/c. Awesome sound from this amp, simple to use. Almost 1 yr to the day the ashdown just crapped out at a gig. The salesman Tom, by now we are on first name basis, let me borrow a new Genz-Benz 600, really liking this amp. So my GK is working fine now after it went to another repair shop it is now my backup amp( I won't go anywhere without a backup now) the borrowed GB600 is still awesome and I have not seen my Ashdown since OCt '04, last I heard they agreed to cover it under warranty, I think my amp is now in New Jersey. I sold the PV awhile back to my nephew. But I wonder what gives with all of this supposedly "highend equipment" that the lower priced , 9yr old peavey did not suffer such malaise. I know these are electronics and this happens but geez I am shelling out some bucks for these units. So I did not expect this when I wanted to step up to "better equipment". :meh:

9. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    If nothing else at least I have some guys who have been in my situation :)

Heres to recording a new record and playing some important out of town dates w/o a head!

-Jason

10. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wow, I almost pulled the trigger on buying one of these yesterday. Glad I didn't. Harmony-central also shows a lot of guys with reliability issues with these 1001RB II also. I'm going to avoid it like the plague. I think I'm going to order a Kustom Groove Bass 1200....

11. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I bought my 1001RBII last March ('04) brand new and have pounded it every week (including 2 trips to PR in just an SKB roto-rack). Works as well now as the day I pulled it out of the box. :meh:

*knocks on wood*

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I tried the 1200 at NAMM and it really was nice.

13. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Good luck with the problem. I had a 400rb3 and it was solid as a rock, I'm not a gigging musician, but that amp took no less than 2 hours of hard work about 6 days a week and performed flawlessly. I wonder how power-hungry you guys must really be!! That sucker was only 240 watts and I had to turn it down when I jammed with my little cousin's hardcore teenage punker band, and they're loud/rambunctious.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    IME, the old 400RB was the most reliable bass amp ever made. Wish I still had one. The newer ones do seem to have service issues, if one is to judge by Internet info. :(

15. i too bought a "new, in box" 1001RB and i get it home, plug it in and POP. dead. played for all of 2 minutes. i had heard stories of service takling forever so i took it back and got the 800RB. it's a freakin champ. sorry to hear about the problem man...

16. Fuses generally only blow if there is a problem. In this case, the amp needs a thermister added to it. The 1001RB-I and the very first batch of 1001RB-II amps needed this. For the most part it has been resolved, but there are still a few out there that need the update. If you ship it into the factory, we have less than a week turnaround not including shipping time.

17. Dan, you are the man. Thats what I love so much about Gallien-Krueger (besides the great gear). Smokin customer service.

Travis Sanders

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    What is up with the 4 to 5 week wait?

Dan - Where's my Deisel Dawg???????

19. Probably the local service center is backed up with repairs. If you know of any other service centers in the area, send us your recommendations.

20. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for the response first off. The guy in the service dept said drop it off at the service center here so thats what i did. Do you think it would be better for me to just go by there and get it then ship it to you guys? It wouldn't be much of a problem the UPS store I use is a few blocks down.

-Jason