1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So last night we're practicing and there's a rattle...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TheFantod, Jul 19, 2012.

1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    ....coming from somewhere. Crap.

Check my cab, nothing is on it, nothing's on the amp. Cables are all fine.
    Guitar player checks all his gear, his pedalboard, his channels. Nothing. No rattle.

We go to play another song, and the rattle returns. More checking, more testing. Nada.

Song #3, and the rattle takes up most of the vocals. Check the mic cable, the mic, the mic stand....and then....

I had a plastic cup of Coke in the drink holder on my mic stand. The rattle was the ice rattling around inside the cup, being picked up by the mic.

Shure SM58's. They pick up everything! :D

2. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin

3. I've had water bottles, beer bottles, wallet & cell phone rattle off of my rig in rehearsal. I've just stopped putting crap up there....

If I walked into a studio or a show with cup holders on the mic stands I'd laugh.

But really, my Mesa cab grill is rattling and I need to address that today. thanks for reminding me

4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I once had a mystery rattle bugging me. It turned out to be the doors from my rack. The latches were rattling... I store them away from the cab now.

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I've tracked several down to loose dustcaps. Quite a relief to the owners who thought their speakers were blown as we narrowed it down.

6. Factor88

Factor88

Jun 21, 2011
    Simple fix...pour enough Bacardi into the cup so the ice no longer rattles.........

7. That would work well!

8. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    My whole garage rattles when me and my drummer play, it stops when we stop

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  10. masonsjax

masonsjax Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    My living room has aluminum drop ceiling. Like living inside a snare drum when I turn my amp up.

11. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    No hum...?

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I had the same thing.. this nasty rattle on certain notes. I thought part of my amp had come loose on the iside.

Pulled it from my rolling rack, and opened it up, and nothing is loose. Plug it all back in it, and re-rack it. Rattle is back. Take it back out and try it without the rack, no rattle.

The handle on my rolling rack had a small crack that was vibrating. A bit of super glue fixed that right up..

13. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    I have a machine head on my Washburn that's loose. Rattles all the damn time. Now I have to replace it. But that's fine, I like Gotoh tuners better than stock! :D

14. We were recording one of our practice sessions one night. When we played back the tapes, we could hear a pig oinking. This puzzled us to no end. There wasn't a pig anywhere near us. Took us two practice sessions to figure out the culprit. The return spring on the drummers kick pedal.

15. Betrayer_Bass

Betrayer_Bass Profanity Fish.

Sep 24, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    HAH! Pig oinking made me laugh so hard, I lost fanta out my nose :D

16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    /thread

Always end it with bacon!

17. I thought maybe the problem might be that the drummer was headbanging.

18. Ha! My Sennheiser e835 is far more sensitive than my SM58. I have sung through the latter for decades (the current specimen dates to 2009), and, with the rest of my main project using them, had to get the e835, earlier this year. I am still trying to overcome my tendency to eat the mic, when singing lead through the Senny mic. That's a habit borne of using a 58 for so long. When singing a backup, I tend to back off, a bit, and it's just fine.

19. Strange rattling noises. Nice.

20. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    I've noticed a coin rattling against the glass of a picture frame at my drummers house. It drove me nuts for months until I finally utilized the twenty foot cable and walked around to the other side of the wall. After I figured out it wasn't in the band room.