Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so last night....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Aug 27, 2004.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i played my friends american fender p-bass and i loved the sound soo much it made me want to go buy one today.

i have one question, what is the sg-1 switch?

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    S-1 switch. It switches the wiring from Parallel to Series wiring. In Series, it has a brighter, more Jazz Bass like tone. If I were you, I'd look into finding one that was made before these current options were made available. There is an awesome looking Natural/Rosewood one in the ads for $600.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Actually, P-basses are wired in series. The s-1 switch switches them to parallel, which provides the brighter, jazz bass sound.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Danget! I swear I knew that. Just got the words confused.

5. I flat out love my P-Bass.

It plugged in to my Eden Rig is soooo sweet.

I like the S-1 switching on the Jazz bass, not sure I would use it on a P. I would prefer a P/J setup to the S-1. Just my opinion.

There is something about a plain old P. It isn't made to sound like a million basses and some people think that it isn't versatile, but the great sound it does makes is so versatile you can use it for Country, Blues, Jazz, Rock, etc....

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    im not into buying used equipment, if i was going to, i saw one for 400, but it needs a set up, strings, and a case. plus im going to try it out, give it a whirl and then if i dont like it, take it back.

so do all new fender p-bass have this option? i hope i get a last years model.

7. I believe it started in 2004 on the American Series.

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    All new American P- and J- Basses have the S-1 switching. If you leave the switch unpressed, you have a standard P-bass, so i wouldnt go out of your way to avoid one, but ive seen the older ones selling for ~200 less. At that point, its just a value decision. Is the added tonal flexibility worth the money to you?

9. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey

i look at it like this.

a.) i hate buying used because i'm never happy with it. i guess its me, and my anal side, because i need it to be in mint when i buy it, i kept my stingray at 8-9 out of ten for the past 4 years.

b.) if i buy new, it doesnt need a hardshell case, nor does it need strings and a set, plus, i have 30 days to try it out and see if i really like it. plus im getting the color i want(sunburst).
    the used one i found, needed strings and a set up, and a case, which would have cost me like 6 something all together.

i can get a new american p-bass, for 939, plus a 100 cash back(50 mail, 50 in store), new case, everything new, in mint.

as long as its the same was say last years p-bass(which is what i played) when the knob is in series, its all good, and plus, i can always used a bit of extra to it, if i can get an extra feature, blam, thats a deal to me.

10. I don't think you should be afraid of putting new strings on and having it setup even if you buy it new off the wall from GC. Usually the basses never are set up the way I like them, and the strings are the first thing I change.

I would definently want to play most Fenders before I bought them because some are far better than others. Being able to get that bass for $839 is a good deal.

If you need the bass to be mint used may not be for you, but I prefer the savings of up to 50% since I am gonna replace strings and do my own setup anyway.

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i look at it like this, to eash his own. the strings will be changed next week anyway, ill play one show with them. but yeah, im very retentive about having it mint, and i figure for the price, you cant go wrong.

12. A P-Bass is one bass that I would consider buying new if I had it to do all over again. (due to the inconsistency and options) A piece of advice if you find the one you love don't sell it. Even if you own boutique basses in the future you will probably want to come back to a P or J from time to time.

Good luck

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    thanks for the advise.

i was very happy with my music man, playing wise and quality and i was always sold on the sound, till i plugged my mexican p-bass in and it sounded awesome. so much more ballsy then the stingray. i would jsut use the mex, but the american has a better body contour on the arm rest, therefor im going to go with that one.

when it was all in the mix, of two guitars, and bass and drums, it sounded amazing.

14. You will find many people that concur that about Fenders. Bedroom pickers tend to have issues with them but in a band situation they shine. Jazz basses are great also. Just think if you already have the musicman, going to buy a P, so a Jazz and a G&L are all you need to hit for the cycle.

15. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah the vicious cycle of tone. ugh.

my music man is great for certain applications, but for playing hard, it sucks.