1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So let's end this once and for all....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Sep 24, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Which Gallien Krueger RB amp to get?

How do the 400RB/800RB compare to the 700RB/1001RBs?

Which are better at what?

2. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    I recently acquired a 700RB-II. I quite like it but theonly other GK head I've owned is the BL600.

Good luck in your quest.

3. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Have you had any other amp heads? something to compare to?

(You can't biamp with the 700RB, can you? unless you have the special speakon cable and a cab wired properly?)

4. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i prefer the 400/800 over the 700/1000.. even though the 700/1000 offer more power and flexibility..

5. I have owned a 400, an 800 and a 700, and played through a 1000 and a 2000. My favorite is the 700, it's got the best volume to grunt ratio of the heads, imo.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    What about the 400/800s do you like over the others?

Can the 400 & 800 handle the low B?:confused:
    I noticed that the 700 has a 4/5 string button?

volume to grunt ratio?

7. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    The closest thing, soundwise, to the 700RB I've owned would be the LMII. To my ears, the 7000RB sounds much like the LMII with a bit more grit/grunt/growl.

Yes, the 700RB will do the biamp thing but you need the special cables/cabs.

8. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008

Interesting, thanks.

What does the tweeter control do if you're just running full range?

9. PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Nothing

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Not a direct answer to your question, but maybe also consider the Backline 600.

I have the 1001RB-II and the BL600.
    The only head I play now is the BL600.
    Disclaimer: due to health problems I don't play in a band anymore, just at home or an occasional jam with friends.
    So the BL600 is more than enough power for me and sounds great. Great growl.

My 1001RB-II is great too. Though a lot cleaner and powerful obviously.

I'm thinking of selling the 1001 and keeping the BL600.

Sorry, can't compare to other GK amps.

11. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Will the 400RB keep up in a band situation?

I've also read the 800RB can do a 700RB impersonation? Use the mid scoop and the contour knob? :confused:
    Thus, can the 700 do an 800 impersonation?

12. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    Nothing. Its only functional if your Bi-amped. I do notice a difference when running bi-amped but to me its not a huge difference. I've had both the 700 and the 1001, If you have multiple Guitarist running tube stacks that your competing with to be heard get the 1001, otherwise the 700 is a great choice. Never had the pleasure of using an old 800br but people seem to like them.

13. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    You've got it backwards, the 700/1001 can impersonate an 800... At least, that's what the manual says...

I once owned a 1001 and currently have an 800. I loved the 1001, I love the 800... But, I guess I liked the 1001 even more... It was way more power than I needed, and when I moved across country, I sold it. I picked up the 800 for $140 (got it fixed for $35). I works, and I'm happy, and don't want/need anything else, so I'm keeping it.

If I were to get a new amp, I'd probably pick up one of the micro sized GK heads... Carrying around a 30 lb beast to rehearsals/shows once a week gets old.

To answer your question though, if the price on the 700 and the 800 is about the same or within a couple hundred dollars, I'd go with the 700. If you can find a good used 800 for cheaper, then pick that up, you'll be plenty happy I'm sure.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

It's the other way around - the 700rb-II can easily cop 800rb tone, and a whole bunch more besides... IMO, the 700rb-II is the most versatile head G-K makes, as it's power "sweet spot" is right in the range most gigging bassist will find most useful - whereas, the 1001rb-II doesn't quite get as warm or growly at my typical gigging volumes... FWIW, I mostly play in loud modern rock and metal bands with atleast a 610 - so, I'm used to playing fairly loud...

- georgestrings

15. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    I play an older 400RBII through a 4 ohm Avatar neo212 and it keeps up with in a pretty loud 4 piece band. And I love it's tone and simplicity.

16. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks, and I think you're right.

Right now I'm using a Mesa M2000 head with a 2x15 SWR cab with Emi Kappalites.
    The tone is good. I like all of the options and such....but overall my tone sounds dark, mid-rangey and synthetic.

I'm playing in a stoner metal type band....so I have to keep up with a 50w SUNN head with (2) 4x12s.
    I also use a lot of fuzz and overdrive.

I hear all this talk about growl/grind and wonder if that would fit me better than the M2000?

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I owned an 800rb for many years and pushed it about as hard as she would go on a regular basis. Eventually I moved on because I did need more power to really get a clear deep tone from a 5 string bass at higher volumes. It was a fantastic amp in so many ways, dead simple to set up and very loud and aggressive. There is a reason the 800RB is considered a classic and is still in production after over 20 years.

18. The GK1001rbII is clean and powerful, great if you don't want that vintage sound. Mine has been reliable, and was a good investment.

19. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    That's the thing....I love the sound of a good tube amp. :oops:

Will the RBs be too modern? what does modern mean? more high end?

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

A 50 watt tube amp for guitar with 2X 412 cabs can get ungodly loud... I've played an M-2000, and if it's "dark" for you, then maybe a G-K head isn't what you're looking for... Out of Mesa's hybrids, maybe a BB750 would be a better fit for you - or, just pony up and buy a real SVT, or a Mesa 400+...

In other words, I think what you really want is going to cost you some $$$ - although you *might* be able to get there with a 1001rb-II and a VT pedal...

- georgestrings

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021