Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So Long, Cirrus....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ancient Mariner, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Purchased a new Peavey Cirrus Claro Walnut 5-string bass last June. This was my main gigging bass, and all that I had read about it was true - it's the most beautiful instrument I've ever seen, it plays and sounds great, etc.

Everything was going fine until about 3 weeks ago .. the Cirrus just simply died on me during a practice session. Changed the batteries but to no avail. Took it back to the dealer who ordered a whole new electronics package (board, etc.), had the tech install it, and gave it back to me (under warranty) last Friday.

I was naturally elated to get it back - until yesterday, when it died AGAIN!! Same story .. sounded like a battery failure, then nothing. Replaced the batteries just in case the dealer had given me a bad one or two..but that wasn't the case.

To say I'm irritated, PO'd, etc. would be an understatement. Everything I'd read about Peavey basses said the electronics were great..I was told by several people that my initial problem was extremely unusual - it'll be interesting to hear what they say about the second occurrence.

Previously, I purchased a Tribute L2500 for use as a backup bass, and for now it's my main axe. This Cirrus is being traded in on an american G&L L2500 which will be ordered to my specs. I'll have to wait a while, and I'll take a $ bath on the Cirrus, but it's well worth it..good riddance to what could have (and should have) been a great bass for many years but instead turned out to be a piece of garbage.

2. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Sorry for that.. Thats so not fun when you are happy to get somethig new and it turn to nightmare..

But.. tell you that a lot of kid aren't fortunate enough to get musical instrument, or food in our country.. so our badluck often look so small compare to them!

3. That's strange was it the pickups that were killing the preamps? I love my cirrus 5 and want to move to a 6 because I love it so much

4. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    "That's strange was it the pickups that were killing the preamps? I love my cirrus 5 and want to move to a 6 because I love it so much"

You know, you may very well be right. I'm not well versed enough in electronics to offer an educated guess, but what you're saying sounds logical.

I really loved the Cirrus too...played great, neck was wonderful, and all of that. But after what happened, I could never trust the thing again, and that's why it's headed out the door.

5. That's unlikely. It seems that there is a problem that has not been fixed that is killing the preamp... perhaps a short.

Ancient Mariner, do you know if they tested the preamp? I had a similar problem with my Dingwall bass with an OBP-3 preamp and while it seemed like a preamp problem at first, it turned out that it was just a short and there was never a problem with the preamp... after Dingwall had replaced the preamp.

6. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Hi Geoff;

I'm really not sure what they checked or didn't check. I would think that a tech would have checked the preamp as a matter of routine, but perhaps he didn't...don't know.
    I'm taking the Cirrus back to the dealer to trade it in on the L2500 Wednesday or Thursday...maybe I'll follow up in a week or 2 to find out what if anything they discovered. But my mindset right now is that it's their problem (still under warranty) and their bass - my trade in on the G&L.

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    There must be a problem that they missed...they may have just assumed that it was the board but the problem is elsewhere. I've never had one issue with my Cirrus, and I've had it since 1998.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it would be good if you could clear this up before you trade it, possibly, just in case they are giving you less trade in because it's not working. i concur that i bet it's just a simple grounding/short issue.

9. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I woulda' stuck with the Cirrus until the real problem was solved... maybe the pickups... or maybe some strange resistive short that slowly destroyed a chip in the preamp... never heard of anything like this at all before, but it'd just have to be if they really did replace the entire preamp board.

I'll definitely tell you that, in my years of being seriously enough into the Cirrus' to have owned 3 (2 currently), and had MANY detailed discussions with long term owners of MANY more than that, this is the first I've heard of a problem this significant, let alone this (incredbily bizaare) problem.

IMHO, G&L's are great basses, but can't touch the Cirrus at all.

HOWEVER, if you're diggin' the G&L just as much, it really doesn't matter in the end.

Peace.

10. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Hi Vic;

Thank you (and others too) for your replies. What you're saying makes sense - the problem, whatever it is, must have a technical solution some way - some how. And you're certainly not the first folks who have said this problem is unheard of - completely unusual. But the problem is it DID happen to me, not once but twice. How can I ever trust it again? Any future gig I do will involve taking another bass along with the Cirrus because I'll never know if/when the thing will die on me again.

Vic, I've played the Tribute L2500 pretty heavy for the last 3 weeks or so, and I'll have to admit that the action/ease of playing on the Cirrus is better than the Tribute. I've played the american L2500 just a few short times, but the action on it is also better than the Tribute, and a proper setup is gonna yield a pretty decent bass (the american G&L). The one thing about both L2500's is that AWESOME ACTIVE/PASSIVE switch! If I understand correctly, problems like I'ver had with the Cirrus would never happen with the L2500 - just switch it to passive and go from there. That alone is worth the extra $. But OTOH, that Cirrus played so well....aaarrrgghhhh! What a dilemma!

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Nobody's challenging that it happened, only noting how rare a problem like this is on a Cirrus. However, the only reason it repeated is not because the Cirrus design is somehow inherently flawed or susceptible, it's simply because it wasn't correctly repaired yet.

Once repaired properly, absolutely. I think there are enough dedicated Cirrus players having used this VERY long term time proven design to attest to that. Your paranoia (if I may use so bold a word) is understandable, but nevertheless unfounded as proven by an overwhelming amount of real live experience.

I think that's oversimplification. Again, the problem is not with the design, it's with one or more (remaining) failed components. ANY bass, passive or active, can have failed components.

To say that a passive bass can never have component problems, is just plain inaccurate. I know a guy who just got a passive bass brand new recently, and it had a dead pickup in it. It was resolved in the end, but there's an example for you.

Sounds to me like you prefer the Cirrus (which I can certainly understand). I urge you to reconsider and just get the thing fixed right. I guarantee you it'll be worth it, as deep down, I think you already know (as shown by how upset you are that it's having problems).

12. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    It didn't happen to you twice, because the problem was never taken care of. Kinda like on a car...if its having trouble starting, and you replace the starter, but it still has the same problem. Maybe it wasn't the starter to begin with - it could be the fuel line, or the alternator, etc. But you can't say that you had the same problem twice.

13. this sounds like a classic case of failing to identify the root cause.

I tend to agree with those who say to get to the bottom of your problem first...you don't want to sell a broken bass (you just won't get anything for it)...once it IS fixed properly, you may still decide to hold on to it, or sell, but only then.

14. They might not. The tech that swapped the preamps didn't check. When he sent it back to Dingwall, Sheldon checked and he told me that it worked fine.

15. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I have never owned a Cirrus but this is the first time I have heard of this happening to one. I think something is definitely shorting out the electronics.....

16. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    It truly sounds like you got bitten by the bad luck bug, and received a classic lemon. I don't own a Cirrus, but a 5-stringer has always been on my G.A.S. list. I would think that a lot of persistence on your part should get you a whole new bass from Peavey... if you want to go through the hassle. So sorry to hear about your problem with one of my favorite basses.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Given the circumstances, I bet Peavey try hard to avoid any unnecessary hassles, though they may choose to repair first.

18. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Call Steve(guitar repair) at Peavey. He will take care of you. Peavey goes to incredible lengths to solve problems and in the 30 years I have been dealing with them, they have never let me down. I have two Cirii, one US and one BXP. I love them both (along with my five other Peavey basses :bassist: ). I had an issue with my US Cirrus after a couple of years-the output of the bass was declining. Steve was aware of the issue (rare) and shipped me a set of replacement pickups. Gratis. Problem solved.
    I cannot say enough good things about Peavey's customer service. If you like the bass...give them a shot, they will make it right. I guarantee it!

Kim

19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Interesting problem. I can understand how it might be hard to trust the Peavey again, but I wouldn't dump it just yet unless you genuinely prefer the G&L. My Cirrus has performed flawlessly, and I'd trust it at any gig. Yours is obviously a freak incident. The fact that your problem occurred twice most likely indicates that the problem was never fixed, not that Peavey products have common failures. If you've got a whole new preamp installed, then look elsewhere. Maybe the grounding on the input jack, or a faulty pickup. Do what you've gotta do, but just know that a properly functioning Cirrus is as trustworthy as any bass.

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I second that. Here you go: toll free: 877-732-8391 ext 1343(Steve)