Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So Long Murph...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Mar 23, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Murphy is our dog. My wife's dog really. For 14 years. And my dog too for the last 12. The hardest thing about having a pet is saying goodbye.
    Sure, she got pretty pathetic at the end, but she was still my dog.

2. Sorry man,

It will be a sad day when either of my cats go.

3. :(
    Sorry to hear that, man. It sucks to lose a pet.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :(

Sorry to hear it. RIP Murph.

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Sorry to hear that. Twelve years is a long attachment.

My dog, Thurman, just turned 10 and arthritis is starting to get a hold of him. My house has stairs everywhere and ocassionally he just looks at the stairs and goes "no, ain't happenin' ". Don't know how much longer we'll have him, but it'll be tough when he's gone. My kids are 5 & 7, so they've always had him around. That's gonna be the toughest part.

Hopefully you're already working on getting a "Murphy II". They don't ever totally replace, but they help smooth the transition and help you to appreciate life for what it is and offers.

Peace,

James

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sorry to 'bout that, RIP Murph.

7. Sorry about Murph, I know what it's like. RIP Murph.

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sorry to hear about that, P.

9. Everytime I read one of these threads I re-live losing my dogs. :(
    I think we see in them what is lacking in us (people) and that's why it's so hard to let go of our loyal, never-complaining friends.

I'm so sorry to hear this, P. Please tell your wife and kids I'm sorry too.

It just stinks.

Mike :(

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My Dalmatian, Polka (because she has dots) is about twelve years old now and she's getting pretty feeble. I worry about when we'll lose her.

11. P. Aaron

Thank You one and all. Why do we take on these burdens of love, only to have our hearts broken? I mean pets are fun, but this always eventually happens. And then we do it again...get another pet.

It seems even the most pragmatic have a soft spot when it comes to pets.

Anyhow, I am 44, since I was 18 I have had a dog in my life. I love dogs, and cats, but I need a pet break.

12. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    My thoughts are with you and yours.......
    You asked why we set ourselves up for this? Cause they're just so great. You guys had 12 (or 14) years with this good puppy dog in your life. It's a wonderful gift.
    Without the lows we wouldn't knoe how cool the highs are.
    Feel better,
    Fo'

13. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Condolensces P.Aaron.
    I dread the day that one of our cats die. They have been a part of our family for 5 years now. They were a christmas present I gave to my fiancee. I love them to death and will really feel the effects of their loss. However; I really dread having to watch my fiance go through the loss. She is so close to those animals. Every year that goes by when we celebrate their birthdays, it puts the dread in my heart.
    Why do we do it? Because of the joy and comfort they bring to us everyday.

14. P. Aaron

Our cat Maisy, (the one pictured) has taken to me. I can be sitting anywhere and the cat hops right up. The cat will only be social with my wife in the bathroom. Even though my wife takes the cat outdoors (primarily an indoor cat), and catnips the little guy, I am the chosen one. Gee.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Our condolences...

16. RIP Murph...have a dog gone good time in doggie heaven.

17. :crying: P:

I'm with you. We had two golden retrievers since '95. We got the male as a puppy in the fall of that year - and he grew into a magnificent beast - truly noble in nature and stature. He was my wife's pride and joy. But the silly bugger would eat gloves - he would shred them into little pieces and swallow them - but they always came through (literally) in the end. Then one day when my wife caught him in the act, he swallowed one whole - and it lodged in the passage between his stomach and intestine. The vet removed it and he recovered - or so we thought. But he never did get his old self back. He caught a lung infection - no doubt due to his weakened constitution, and despite the vet's valiant efforts, he deteriorated to the point we had to put him down - in the prime of his life. I told my family that I wanted to be with him when the vet put him down - I felt we owed him that much. Dianne didn't think she could handle it, but when she told the kids, they insisted that we all be there.

So, we held Charlie's noble head as he slipped away and had a good cry - but we all felt better for it.

And the next day we got a new Golden puppy that, thank God, had not yet been snapped up (because he has a pump handle crink in his tail). And he is turning out to be a fine animal in his own right.

The moral of this story? I am struck by how, in political threads, I disagree vehemently with some of the positions held by P. - but I am struck more by how much we all have in common. We are bass players (the rock of all music), we love our families, and we love our dogs (and cats). Let's all remember that, and pray that one fine day, our politicians can ALL get that through their bone heads and start to foster our commonalities, not our differences.

P., God Bless you and your family, and Murph.

18. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sorry P. , i lost a few good dogs in my life, it's just like losing a person in a lot of respects.

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Condolences man, I feel your pain. You know, 12 years is a pretty good run man.....your dog had it well, which is better than 90% most other dogs get. Be thankful you got to give him a good home while he was here, and remember the happy times.

When you are ready, remember there are a lot of other good pets out there that need a good home. While I enjoy dogs more than most anyone, the truth of the matter is, they need us even more than we need them.

20. Sorry to hear it, P :( Keep remembering the good times; I'm sure there are plenty after twelve years...