so, made in korea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Sep 6, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    so while at the sale at gc i picked up this natural wood grain jazz bass with no pick guard. so i looked at the back, and it said made in korea.

how good/bad are these?

or maybe i should say, how do they compare to mia, mim, or mij?

2. Well, I have 2 geetars Made In Korea........and 2 basses just now Made In Korea.

Previously I had another 3 basses and 1 geetar all Made In Korea!

Only issue I ever had was with 1 of the geetars - the routing for the Floyd Rose trem was wonky - apparently it was on all of the MG series geetars, as they used the same template with the same error for all of them!!!!

Currently I have a Spector and a Lakland Skyline MIK and a PRS Tremonti SE and an ESP LTD Explorer (EXP-200). Build quality on all is superb!!!! However I have changed the pickups on the geetars.....huge improvements could and were made there! :bassist:
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i should have said. mik fenders!!!

4. D'oh.....I should've asked!!!!!

Well, only experience of MIK Fender type gear is a Squier Strat my father bought that was MIK! It was definitely up there in terms of playability and sounds were better than an MIJ Squier Strat I have (however mine has been upgraded with Texas Special pups ,and I do prefer the satin finished neck on my MIJ).

From that one Stat alone, I'd say the quality was excellent for the money. However this was about 10 years not too up on the recent quality of Fender gear coming form Korea! :)
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm guessing the bass you saw was a "Jazz Bass 24". There have been threads here recently, but the search function doesn't seem to bring them up. Nice bass. I've owned a couple made in Korea basses and been very satisfied with them.
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My MIK Spector rules. I'm going to A/B it with the MIA I'm getting soon. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    In Sound Control yesterday I was a "Made in Korea" light-ash Fender strat for £449, bearing in mind that Korea is famous for Squire production and they are blowing out Highway 1s for the same price and MIAs for £50 more I'm intreagued. My bro is in the market for a new guitar and looking at the SG special or highway 1 / MIA strat amongst others so I spotted this whilst out hunting yesterday, was kinda confusing, anyone care to shed some light?
  8. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Don't know about fender but Korea should be considered now days as a good quality production country.
    People with doubts should take a look to Cort Artisan line. Great instruments, great feels... I guess it is the same in every country. If you want to make low coasts instruments, you will make some cuts in quality, if you want to make some good one, you just have to put the demands higher.

Shiveringbass, bassist for Shivering
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The Brice line at Rondo is all MIK .... exceptional quality for the price point, to the point that I can barely understand how they are able to produce such nice basses for so low a cost. I also have had experience with an Ibanez SRX505 MIK that was also very well constructed ..... :cool:

I've not had the opportunity to check out the Fender MIK's, but would definitely be interested in trying out a 5 .......
  10. What boggles my mind is how the Ibanez SR1000/5/6 and BTB1005/6 series are made in Korea and cost about a grand a pop.

If I were to pay that much scratch, at very LEAST, I look for it to be made in Japan.
  11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have an Epiphone and an Ibanez, both made in Korea, and both of them "acoustic" bodied (the Epi's a resophonic, the Ibanez is a 5-string ABG) and the fit and finish are as nice as any of my other axes. I understand they are heavily into CDC machinery there which assures consistency. I have owned Japanese guitars from the '50's and '60's and they were pretty iffy (one git had a plywood top with bracing that looked like floor joists -- it now has a custom bearclaw spruce top and X-bracing, BTW). Anything from Japan in the '70's to the present or Korea in the last few years is going to be decent, assuming it's not a really cheap POS. In fact, a friend is waiting until he can find the Fender he wants in a MIJ model because, he says, their finishes are so much nicer.