Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So many choices....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrDuncan, Oct 23, 2005.

1. I am currently in the market for a new amp. Currently I am using a Yorkville Bass Master 200 and it has served me well but now I want/need a better quality amp.

I am looking at several makes and models but since I can't physically try all of them I want to get some feedback on these amps from other players who have used, own(ed) or tried these models.

Here's the list:

SWR Redhead
    SWR Black Beauty
    SWR Baby Baby Blue
    Ampeg B-100R
    Fender 400 Pro

That's the list. I am currently playing a Geddy Lee sig, Mike Dirnt sig and a Jazz Bass 24 (yes I love my Fenders) and I play modern top 40, old rock and country music.

Thanks in advance for any input and if you have another amp to recommend I would apprecaite any advice. :bassist:

Edit: I don't really have a price range since I have a very understanding wife and a desire to spend a lot on gear.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Does it need to be small? Ampeg B-15R (Diamond series, used to be the Portaflex...) would be awesome if you want smallish...

3. I prefer small but powerful (without being too powerful) combo amps. Since I old have a small car to transport my gear in I have never considered buying a head and enclosure. Just don't have the room. Maybe I should convince my wife to let me get a truck.

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    SWR will sound very clean and not have much grit or balls.