So many choices....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrDuncan, Oct 23, 2005.

1. I am currently in the market for a new amp. Currently I am using a Yorkville Bass Master 200 and it has served me well but now I want/need a better quality amp.

I am looking at several makes and models but since I can't physically try all of them I want to get some feedback on these amps from other players who have used, own(ed) or tried these models.

Here's the list:

SWR Redhead
    SWR Black Beauty
    SWR Baby Baby Blue
    Ampeg B-100R
    Fender 400 Pro

That's the list. I am currently playing a Geddy Lee sig, Mike Dirnt sig and a Jazz Bass 24 (yes I love my Fenders) and I play modern top 40, old rock and country music.

Thanks in advance for any input and if you have another amp to recommend I would apprecaite any advice. :bassist:

Edit: I don't really have a price range since I have a very understanding wife and a desire to spend a lot on gear.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Does it need to be small? Ampeg B-15R (Diamond series, used to be the Portaflex...) would be awesome if you want smallish...
  3. I prefer small but powerful (without being too powerful) combo amps. Since I old have a small car to transport my gear in I have never considered buying a head and enclosure. Just don't have the room. Maybe I should convince my wife to let me get a truck.
  4. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    SWR will sound very clean and not have much grit or balls.