Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So many Direct Box's and only one Amp....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fender58, Apr 28, 2003.

1. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have a Ashdown ABM500 head. I want to get a direct box just in case the amp should crap out. It has a built in direct inject. I have heard many say amp DI's are not very good and if the amp dies than I am out of luck, probably. I guess it depends where it stops working in the head, no? Does anybody have any input on the Ashdown DI's?

There are so many DI's on the market that do so many things. I just want a reliable and inexpensive DI with out extra feature's. If it had extra feature's fine.

What is the story on the very inexpensive brands seen on E Bay..etc.. like Art and Beringer for example. Do they do the job as a reliable "emergency" way to get sound to the PA?

My feeling is to save a bit and get a Countryman 85 perhaps?

Thanks for anybody's time. I searched first and came up with mostly older posts. I really am intersted in how people feel about a $19.99 DI with extra's.

Danny

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, I have a red Behringer DI, that i bought for $45. It's a good DI for getting the job done. I've done some simpler recording and a couple of gigs with it so far, (i've only had it for a few weeks), but I haven't experienced any trouble with it, no hum or noise, or any big coloration of the sound. It has a 4x12 speaker simulator, that i haven't really tried except through a pair of headphones, and i didn't really notice any big difference, except maybe a little compression. Anyway, i'd recommend the Behringer, or any other fairly cheap DI, especially if you only intend to use it as a backup if your amp fails. I wouldn't buy a very cheap DI with eq's and stuff, I don't really expect them to be good, but if you just want something that changes your impedance, not altering or enhancing your sound, I see no reason not to buy inexpensive.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The ART Tube MP is a handy little gadget to have around. I take mine to every gig, just in case. I bought mine for recording, but there are other uses as well (impedance matching, phantom power if needed, direct box, balanced and unbalanced outputs that can be used at the same time). I have played a few gigs without an amp using one, bass sounds good through it. It's quiet. I paid $99 for mine, but I have seen them for $79.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That behringer Ultra DI is popping up everywhere in Australia. I've never heard a bad comment about it, yet everyone agrees it's great value for money. It's tough, it's got a ground lift, and 2 x 20dB pads - that's plenty.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Just curious, what makes you worry about the Ashdown's DI? Has it played up before? Or have you heard stories?

6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Petebass, I only really worry if the whole amp went down. I carry some spare fuses and have a fairly good electronics backround in terms of fixing things althought I'd have no time to pull the amp apart during a gig. The only thing I have heard about the Ashdown is a problem with hum. Aparently one needs to isolate pins 2 and 3 at the amp, to avoid a ground loop, which is done on mine. There was thread about that someplace a long time ago. My amp is 3 years old and going strong. I have heard, as I said, many people say Amp manufactors don't put very "good" DI's on there amps; that they are just there for show. This may, or may not be true, of course. I would think a "better" amp would come with a decent direct inject circut.
    Again thanks people, Danny

7. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Here is a photo FYI...

8. Try to find a D.I. with a Jensen transformer. I use a Radial Engineering JDI. But they are not exactly cheap. There was a huge D.I. shootout in the November 1998 issue of Bass Player Magazine.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My advice is for an "emergency" DI, get a passive box. No battery means one less thing to go wrong.

If it's strictly for emergencies, the Whirlwind IMP2 is only about $35 new, less used and sounds OK though not world class. Heck, most PAs won't reproduce the superior sound of a better sounding box like the Radial.

Of course, if you have the dough, get a Radial...it's probably the best passive DI out there right now.

10. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Thanks all. I found that bass player shootout. Good info. I saw a whirlwind imp on e bay.
    I agree about no battery as well.

11. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Manitoba
    maybe the Sans Amp Bass Driver? I've run straight into the board with it for the house mix and it sounded good. No complaints