Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so many questions, please help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mangl, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    ok, i dont really know where to start...
    im looking to a buy a rig i wouldn't ever really need to upgrade. i intend on using it for gigs and rehearsal.

ive currently got the gallien krueger 1001rb head, rated at 480watt at 8 ohms. but im contemplating selling it and buying the gallien krueger 800rb, rated at 200watts at 8 ohms.

here come the questions;
    if i kept my 1001rb, i'd have to buy pretty expencive cabs (high enough wattage) to be able to handle the head, should i keep the head or buy the 800rb??

with an 800rb, should i buy a single cab at 4 ohms, to get the whole 300watts out of the head? or buy a cab at 8 ohms (so it would be running at 200watts) and then eventually, if i need to, buy another cab?

with the 800rb, i was thinking id buy a 6x10 cab at 4 ohms, but im just scared:
    -will it be loud enough?

my main question is: with an 800rb, is it better to run a single 4 ohm cab, or would a single 8 ohm cab be loud enough + having the possibility to add another cab....
    what should i do :crying:

AHHHHHHHHHHH if got things to ask, and i dont know how to ask them, if you cant answer any of the questions, please just give advice on generally whats good, loud enough ect

a thousand thanks
    ~mangl

2. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    forgotten question:
    for practicalility reasons, i was considering buying two cabs, one 4x10, and a 2x10 both at 8 ohms, so i would only have to drag the 2x10 along to rehearsals... but this means both would only run at 200watt.

whereas if i bought a single 6x10 cab, it could run at 4 ohms and run at maximum power

whats more worth it, practicalility or the power?
    :bawl:

3. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    so you'd say the i dont really need the power of the 1001rb - and its possible unreliability, and that i should go the 800rb with a 4x10 cab at 8 ohms so i can then (when i get the money) add the other cab?

would there be much of a difference in loudness between a 6x10 at 4 ohms, and a 6x10 at 8 ohms?

i was thinking with 2 cabs, a 4x10 and a 2x10, then ive got two horns aswell

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    no matter what keep the bigger amp! Downsizing power is almost NEVER a good idea unless you're desperately trying to cut weight/space.

The are a million cheap cab options that will do the job. I'd suggest going avatar because you can get two 8 ohm cabs that you can run together and cut your resistance down to 4ohms to get max power out of the head. Otherwise, one of the cabs alone running at 8 will probably get the job done that you're looking for at rehearsals/small gigs etc.

I'll say again, DON'T downgrade your power source! Headrooom is EVERYTHING when it comes to live tone. Trust us on this one.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
  6. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    my 1001rb power wise i'd say is alot of overkill,
    i currently play in a band that has played in the city (melbourne) heaps, they play in C and play sort of rock/metally sorta tunes.
    but my main love is thrash metal, which is usually just in E standard tuning.

so downgrading my power source is a bad thing, but what if its that much overkill? and im still only 17, if the 800rb could do the job, i'd very much like to know, because the 1001rb is quiet a hefty peice of equipment. and also then i could sell the 1001rb, pick up a cheap 800rb off ebay, and then have some money left over to go towards a cab

7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The 1001RB is a hefty piece of equipment? It's like 18 pounds!

Keep the amp. Overkill isn't overkill unless you go nuts with the volume knob.

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    You can adjust the EQ of the 1001RB to sound exactly like the 800RB. I think it's even in the manual.

Keep your head. If you wanted to you could power a 1w cab safely. Just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to use all of it. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get the most power you can afford and you ALREADY have a truly excellent amp with plenty of power.

Keep your head and get two 8ohm cabs.

300w into a 6X10 would be pretty loud BUT loud enough? Unless you play at very high volumes, probably plenty loud.

If I had the 800RB I would get an 8ohm 2x10 and an 8ohm 1x15.

Keep your head and buy some cabs.

I already told you what I thought.

And...

Yer welcome.

:D

Joe.

9. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    thanks!, joe especially!
    so i guess ill be hanging on to the 1001rb (as long as i have no problems with it :p)

any suggestions on cab setups? i was thinking a 4x10 first off at 8 ohms, and then in the future buy the second 8 ohm cab, either 2x12 or a 1x15.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Now you're talking...

- georgestrings

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    :)

A 4x10 and 2x12 would be a really cool setup. Your head would make it ROAR! But you better be young and strong. A 210/115 would be more manageable.

Whatever you do get the best that you can afford. Even if it means getting one cab now and the other a little later.

Joe.

12. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    thats a good point... im not sure how this would run, ive never seen anyone with a rig setup like this: a 2x10 cab ontop of a 2x12 cab... how do you rekon it'd go? would it cut it for most situations?

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I'd bet that it would.

BUT...if your volume levels are outrageous, well, it still seems like it would do it. If the cabs are good quality cabs, it should be plenty. But no promises! Sometimes you just gotta try it and see.

What size of gigs are you thinking of??

Joe.

14. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    well i dont really know... couple hundred tops i'd say...
    im just so confused on what cabs to go after, theres so many choices.
    if i could get what i currently want, thatd be the eden xlt 210 and the eden 212 cabs... but then id like to stay with gk, and that'd mean either a 4x10 + 2x12, or 2x12 + 1x15, or 4x10 + 1x15....
    AHHHHHHHH i dont want to make a bad choice

15. mangl

mangl

Jan 23, 2006
    hey joe, how does your setup go? like, its a really nice size and all, how is the volume on it? pros nd cons?

16. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Props to Joe giving you the line by line!

Glad to hear you're deciding to keep your head and keep that head! ;)

My suggestion for a single 8ohm cab would definitely be 212. I've never found a 210 that can really fill a room with big lows, no matter how small the venue. If your willing to move a 410, I'd vote for that first though.
    It's the same suggestion I always make for where to start: Avatar

Top shelf drivers (eminence) in decent (albeit heavy) boxes for cheap.

Solid, almost pro level, cabs at entry level prices. They also hold pretty good value on resale so you can try more than one without emptying your pockets. Don't be a fraid to go used through reliable sources like here at TB or theDudePit.com either.

People in these forums have tons of references (the kevin bacon rules can apply here to) and won't screw you. Think of shipping fees as small rental charges for new gear to test, the chronic GAS that we all suffer from results in LOTS of great deals on reliable speakers from reputable, friendly, like-minded people.

mangl, do you have any idea the money all of us could have saved over the years had we the access to forums like this when we were your age? We were all limited to what we could find locally. I won't even get into the ebay thing (too risky a lot of the time these days if you ask me) but the gear that flies through the classifieds here alone boggles the mind......

Best of luck with the quest, and NEVER hesitate to ask questions.

17. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Mangl,

I have a GK 700RBII that I have used regularly with my D210XLT and it sincerely kicks butt! If you went with Eden cabs I would be insanely jealous because I have wanted to pair up my 210 with the D212XLT for quite a while now. But for some reason I kee buying other things instead. AAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

The GK head with Eden cabs would be awesome. Trust me.

But if you want GK cabs, go for it.

Either way would not be a bad choice. It will probably end up being an economics issue. (It certainly is for me).

Joe.

18. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    My 115/210 rig is GREAT! the 210 is a 4ohm cab so I usually have it turned down 1 click in volume (relative to the volume of the 115). Being powered by a power amp makes this an incredibly easy thing to do.

Pros - Big Rig, Big Sound, AWESOME tone.

Cons - Big Rig. That's about it. Sometimes (heck, most of the time now) I don't need a Big Rig in the size of the rooms I have been playing lately. But that can change in a heartbeat so none of it is for sale!

In the biggest rooms that I have played this rig had NO TROUBLE filing the room. It was quite a shock to me, years ago, when I realized that I still didn't have enough power or speakers for a really big outside gig. But that's o.k.While trying to make it work my stage volume was so high that I couldn't hear anyone else! So I brought my volume down to a sane level for outside stage support and let the PA handle the crowd!

Most of the time all I need is my GK 700RBII head and one of these speakers or one or two of my Aggies.

Joe.

19. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    AMEN!

+1!

Joe.

20. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Joe, the 210/212XLT rig is super. I had this combo for a short time, both 8 ohm cabs driven by my 'lil WT-330. I now have a WT-550 to drive a 4-ohm 212XLT (plenty by itself) and an 8-ohm 210MBX... get on it brother!