1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So many questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Mar 5, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Help from you "Bar Gig" types would be especially appreciated, as I play all over in clubs.

After a go around at an "all Bass Store", I have ruled out the "Super Red Head". I am looking at (for now) a separate amp and 2 x 10 bottom to start.

I tried (and somewhat liked) a SWR Workingman's 300, and a Hartke 3000. (some here like the 3500)
    any opinions?

Thanx,

P. Aaron

2. P. Aaron

BumP!

3. Hey PA, here are a couple of things I would consider:

Of those two, which one gave you a sound / tone you like with minimal fussing about with the tone controls? I'd lean toward the one which takes the least fussing with.

Do they both have a Pre-eq DI? Important feature (unless you prefer use an outboard DI).

Is there anyone in town that is an authorized repair facility for the Hartke or SWR? If you have a problem, it's no fun to pay freight, ship out your amp, and wait weeks or months for it to return.

Hope this helps:).

4. P. Aaron

Yes it does. They both have built-in pre-amps(and DI's), and were both fairly easy to get a decent tone. What I am going to do, (since they're both used) is rent them for a rehearsal, along with a used Eden 2 x 10 XLT and see how it compares to my set-up now.

It's one thing to play it in the store, I have to slug it out with the guitar players and a drummer, (and get a good sound) to see if this is going to work for me.

5. A real - world test drive!!!! Good plan, buddy!!! Keep us posted of your findings.