Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So many questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Mar 5, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Help from you "Bar Gig" types would be especially appreciated, as I play all over in clubs.

After a go around at an "all Bass Store", I have ruled out the "Super Red Head". I am looking at (for now) a separate amp and 2 x 10 bottom to start.

I tried (and somewhat liked) a SWR Workingman's 300, and a Hartke 3000. (some here like the 3500)
    any opinions?

Thanx,

P. Aaron

2. P. Aaron

BumP!

3. Hey PA, here are a couple of things I would consider:

Of those two, which one gave you a sound / tone you like with minimal fussing about with the tone controls? I'd lean toward the one which takes the least fussing with.

Do they both have a Pre-eq DI? Important feature (unless you prefer use an outboard DI).

Is there anyone in town that is an authorized repair facility for the Hartke or SWR? If you have a problem, it's no fun to pay freight, ship out your amp, and wait weeks or months for it to return.

Hope this helps:).

4. P. Aaron

Yes it does. They both have built-in pre-amps(and DI's), and were both fairly easy to get a decent tone. What I am going to do, (since they're both used) is rent them for a rehearsal, along with a used Eden 2 x 10 XLT and see how it compares to my set-up now.

It's one thing to play it in the store, I have to slug it out with the guitar players and a drummer, (and get a good sound) to see if this is going to work for me.

5. A real - world test drive!!!! Good plan, buddy!!! Keep us posted of your findings.