so many to choose from...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ryan morris, Feb 5, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I plan on purchasing some kind of sound device for my setup in the future. I have a few choices of effects or pre amp that I'm strongly considering. Right now I'm in this funky-hip-hop-techno-experimental kind of group so all of these pedals will work out in some kind of way..I just have money for one though. Ok:
    Line 6 Bass Pod
    Line 6 FM4
    SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    EBS Filter
    ADA MB-1
    Digitech BP8
    I want them all, just don't know which to get first.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd start with the Sansamp and the EBS filter. They're useful, durable, well-regarded and basically idiot-proof.

The others are too complex for someone just starting out and have the potential to sound sucky. The P.O.D. has to be one of the scariest pieces of bass-related equipment on the market.
  3. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks. I have been doing a whole lot of reading on all of them and that does seem like a great suggestion. Between those two, which would be best to get first?...or is this where I have to decide? Maybe it should be the EBS IQ for it's smoothe funk, or the SABDDI for it's excellent hard decission. Anyways, Thanks
  4. A properly set up EV filter will get you many sounds including an attack delay (synth effect), subharmonic boost (like the DOD FX25) even a fretless effect w/ "mwah." Get the EBS first. That and a fuzz (or the SABDDI) will get you most places you will ever need to be.
  5. keep away from the multieffect units and digiyal crap...
    I recently purchased a Fulltone bassdriver and really love it and you can probably get that and still have money left over...
    also for that type of music you might want to check out the Akai Deep Impact... it will most likely be my next effect... Hell if you look for used you can probably get both for the as cheap as a POD!
  6. Ah, but the Akai is digital. You can get many of the same techno-funk flavoured sounds just by using a proper fuzz, octaver and Ev filter. That trio is all you need and in warm rippely analog to boot. Digital.....brrrrrrr!
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I totally agree about analog warmth... BUT there are times when you might want that cold digital sound! I'm putting together a great analog effects rig, but I'm not selling my Akai either... ;)
  8. Yeah...I admit to having a serious soft spot for my Korg G5 bass synth. Ain't loosing that anytime soon.
  9. yeah you got me there... damn good point. I was actually just trying to say to stay away from the digital multi-effects crap then all around digital... i actually own a decent array of digital stompers that though may not be as great as the analog, they sound a hell of a lot better then a multi-effect version.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You may find, after acquiring an EBS unit, that your need/desire for some other tone-shaping circuits diminishes. Afterall, there's a lot of overlap in what you're looking at.
  11. Once again I agree with ImNotGeddyLee.
  12. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    awesome...someone here on talkbass is selling their EBS Bass IQ, so it looks like that's what I'm buying first. After that it's between the Fulltone and the SansAmp. Thanks for everything guys.
  13. I have to say start with the SansAmp BDDI, I actually got hooked on filters through the Boss AW2 (my first wah.) It was pretty good to start out on but if you want a simple yet great sounding filter I'd go with the BassIQ.