So, Marcus Miller played this??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jul 12, 2004.

1. I think it's a really cool bass. I dunno about the price tag, but it's certainly better than those guys who place starting bids at 10k for an unknown custom bass.
  2. Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Strange bass, however.
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    It says he signed it and they didn't put the sig in one picture.. :eyebrow:
  4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    hahaha, that's one sign.
  5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Yeah, but wait! the signature could have been signed using that invisable ink, then the buyer/winner will have to get a special pen to rub over the signature spot, and WHAM! it shows up :hyper: :hyper:

then again, maybe not :eyebrow:
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    buy the bass. buy it, keep it, and then report him to ebay and sue him.
  7. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    actually, Marcus Miller probalby DID play that bass.

It`s a Nexus - made by Jacek Kobylski, probably one of the best luthiers in the buisness. This particular design is - IMO - crap, but his more traditional looking basses are as good as it gets. Very, very, very comfortable and made of very high quality, seasoned wood. I`ve played several different Nexus basses and loved every one of them. The stone fingerboards are really something.

here`s the website

they might look a bit funny on the pictures, but they have THE SOUND.
  8. kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    whether he played it or not...i think its pretty ugly :hyper:

THIS on the other hand...

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    did he sign it with an invisible marker/pen?
  10. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    i don`t know if he signed it or not, I would have to go and check it out:) Those photos were taken some time ago, after the bass was finished...
  11. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    dude, I`ve played that bass several times - EXTREMELY good tone...
  12. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    uh yeah, if you're gonna try to sell a bass based on the fact that it's signed by a pro it'd be a good idea to show a pic of the signature on the auction...

I call BS on that one... or extreme stupidity
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Didn't the guy from Extreme play a bass liek that?
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It looks pretty clear that those are not pictures of the specific bass in question, but rather something from the website. It looks absolutely brand new, and Marcus beats the hell out of his instruments. There would be some noticeable visual wear on it were that the specific one in question, which I firmly believe it is not. Regardless, I'd pass on it because of the fingerboard. Check that thing out, it's round as a pole!

I'm on the Nexus site, and as I assumed, all of the pictures in the auction are directly off the site. As far as I've seen, it's pretty common for people to do this rather than to go to the hassle of using a digital camera or real camera, etc. etc.
  15. [​IMG]

Purchase the bass.
    If you are able to play like Marcus on this bass, then clearly his magic has rubbed off on the bass and then to you indicative that Marcus did indeed use the instrument.

BTW, wasn't that bass used in some of the troll battle scenes in the Lord of the Rings films? Look closely....

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Marcus plays lots of basses. He signs even more. The signature adds nothing to the real value of the bass IMO. Buy it on it's merits.

I'd like to say I don't get the instant dismissals here... but I do.

Why would anyone expect appreciable wear on a bass he might've gigged with ONCE? He's not that hard on instruments. It's easy enough to check with Marcus himself and see if he played it or not, if that makes a difference to you:

Why do some of you think him playing it is beyond the realm of possibility? He's a very high profile bassist who has instruments offered to him on a regular basis. If you've ever been to one of his shows you'll know thatsigning things is a staple after his shows. He's very accomodating.

Yeah, it's probably a ripoff :rolleyes:
  17. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    It would be so damn embarrassing to go on stage with that "thing" on... i hope marcus never played that thing... ;)