1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So maybe I've been all wrong about bridge pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lia_G, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I've always been a neck pickup or P bass guy. Never liked bridge pickups. I think they sound thin and harsh, no matter how I try to eq them. Well, recently I picked up an Ibanez GWB35 fretless, which only has a bridge pickup. I've managed to get acceptable tones out of it, although it can't match my P basses or a neck pickup for warmth.

However, what I'm finding after gigging it three times now is that it absolutely kills in the mix. Soloed I still prefer a neck pickup or a P, but this thing is awesome on the gig. This has me rethinking my longstanding prejudice against Jazz basses (I know the GWB35 isn't a jazz). I've never liked having a pickup I never use on a bass, and I always played a jazz with the neck soloed. But if the Ibanez sounds this good in the mix, maybe a jazz bridge pickup has some hope after all ... ;)

Last night's gig, which really turned my head, was with my blues/funk/soul band, the Brian James Band. Medium sized club, lineup was two guitars, drums, bass, and the harp player from Los Lonely Boys (amazing harp player). We played three hours, and a handful of pretty hot local cats were there sitting in for a few tunes each, including a guy who plays with Michael McDonald. It was a stellar show, tons of energy, great playing all around, and a great crowd. I was using my Ashdown Mag300 head and my two Carvin 112AG cabs. I like the Carvins, but they're not the fullest cabs around (they're pretty small). I halfway expected that combined with the GWB35 bridge pickup the sound would be too thin, and that I'd have to really compensate with eq on the amp. However, I didn't. I had all tone controls on the amp at noon except a boost to 1:30 on the 220hz control. The overall tone was really full and punchy.

Sorry to ramble on so long. Just wanted to share my surprise and the fact that my opinion on bridge pickups is in the process of changing.

Cheers,
    Liam

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My Fender Roscoe Beck Sig Fender did the same thing for me.

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    On my P/J I like the bridge pickup dialed just a bit below the P so it doesn't change the character, but still adds some of it's throaty mids and extended treble. The bridge pickup is raised higher under the E/A strings to add some extra growl to my low notes.

4. Try a single coil humbucker....even fatter!

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Say what??? :confused: Is this like a Jackalope? :)

Anyway, I don't often use bridge only sound on a fretted bass, but with a fretless it can be magical. It really brings out the mwah and gives some nice clear highs.